The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Sheets (3 questions)

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BadWolf 
#1 ·
Are they worth the investment, as far as actually keeping flies off?

Do you "get what you pay for" or does price point really matter?

Could they be a DIY project, or do they need to be store-bought?

Thanks!

#2 ·
We don't use fly sheets, but the benefit that you get will depend largely on what type of flies you care about. Around here the most bothersome flies (to the horses) are the biting flies...bot flies that bother the legs and belly, and the horse flies (later in the summer). Covering the belly can help some for bot flies, but obviously don't help the legs. Fly sheets will help a lot with horse flies since the sheets are typically light colored and horse flies pursue large, dark colored objects. As with any covering, the down side is that you do have to watch for chafing/rubbing from the edges and straps.
Our horses just stay in their shelter when the biting bugs are bad (typically sunny, hot days between 10am and 4pm).

#3 ·
I never have luck with them. They always rip, even when my horse is pastured alone. I had him pastured with no other horses last summer (horses in adjacent fields but he doesn't get along with them and is perfectly content in his own pasture) and even then it was in shreds half way through the summer. They are just to expensive when they don't last. He is not usually that hard on blankets either, his winter blanket never rips, but I just think that fly sheets are too fragile for normal pasture use. I do however have a very light fly/scrim sheet that I will through on him if we are at a show or tied, where he is unable to move around much to keep the bigger bugs off. I DO however always use a fly mask with ears because he gets a lot of bug bites in his ears. Even though one will only last a month because they also rip, I am more willing to replace those as they are cheaper. I think fly spray works just as good and is more natural for them (I have had a horsefly get under the flysheet and THAT is not pleasant and is difficult for them as having them under the sheets is so unnatural). The flysheets always rub him really bad on his wither as well, which is not something that happens with his winter blanket.

#4 ·
As far as the price goes, it is more about finding what fits and works for you. Some are a mesh and others are a fabric. Just to simplify:
Pros-
-sun protection from coat/skin damage
-keeps them clean

Cons-
-not super effective at fly control but does help some
-may rub like any blanket/sheet
-may cause sweating
-various repairs

Honestly I am on the fence as far as whether or not I like them/think they are useful. It depends on horse, person, facility, climate etc etc etc.

I would not think it would be an easy DIY project nor much cheaper in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.