The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Unsafe? rocky (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/unsafe-rocky-41188/)

horseluver50 11-22-2009 11:08 PM

Unsafe? rocky

I found a really nice local place to board.. but they dont have many spots left, and the pasture I would be able to board my horse in.. is quite rocky and hilly.
Some of the pasture is a cliffy rrock thing.. the rest is sort of like this.. but not as many rocks:
http://www.quad-atv.za.net/Images/be...rocky_hill.jpg

Is that a danger for tripping/falling, hurting themselves? Also, it will be covered by snow, and might trip?
What do you think?

smrobs 11-22-2009 11:20 PM

A horse can trip, fall, and hurt themselves on flat, dry, clear ground LOL. I think ground like that would do a horse good. It would help to teach them to be aware of their feet plus help to keep her feet hard if you are going to keep her barefoot. There is no horse I dislike more than a horse that has never been out of an arena or similar very flat area. Most of them I have ridden were incredibly clumsy and lazy about picking up their feet. If I had a choice between a paddock like that and one that was flat, I would choose the rocky one.

horseluver50 11-23-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

A horse can trip, fall, and hurt themselves on flat, dry, clear ground LOL. I think ground like that would do a horse good. It would help to teach them to be aware of their feet plus help to keep her feet hard if you are going to keep her barefoot. There is no horse I dislike more than a horse that has never been out of an arena or similar very flat area. Most of them I have ridden were incredibly clumsy and lazy about picking up their feet. If I had a choice between a paddock like that and one that was flat, I would choose the rocky one.
very true. Well thats good to know :) Also, its inclined abit.. what about when she wants to gallop around and buck and play, she might get caught?
But, I was thinking, horses in the wild have rocks too :P
Sounds great then! Thanks :)

PaintHorseMares 11-23-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 469648)

I agree, too. About half the place our horses have is wooded and full of small stumps, roots, rocks, logs to jump over, etc. and it does a great job of getting them to pick up their feet. Do they spain an ankle every once in a while while they're 'horsing around'? Sure, but no more than anywhere else, and they do great riding off-trail.

My Beau 11-23-2009 02:11 PM

Looks like a recipe for stone bruises to me, even for horses with tough feet. I don't mind rocks in fields, but from the picture, there are barely any places that don't have rocks. Too many, IMO.

iridehorses 11-23-2009 02:34 PM

I wouldn't mind the rocks but I'd talk to some of the other borders to see if they experienced any problems. When I lived in NE PA, we used to have borium welded to their shoes to help with traction on icy trails - maybe that will help you as well.

sillybunny11486 11-23-2009 03:45 PM

I wouldnt put my horse out there. I could see lots of sole bruises and chipped feet. A horse I used to board with cut his knee pretty bad on a rock in the pasture, no idea how though. I think it got down to his joint capsule. He was out of work for a good 3-4 months, on stall rest.

wild_spot 11-23-2009 04:30 PM

A pasture with hills, gullies, rocks, logs and other natural obstacles will do nothing but good for a horse. It toughens their feet, builds up muscles they don't get in a flat pasture, helps maintain good conformation, and teaches them sturdiness and surefootedness. The pony I am getting soon has lived in a paddock for a few years now - The whole paddock is a steep hill covered with rocks, trees, stumps, logs, and yep probably rabbit holes. When she was put in her slight cow-hocked-ness fixed itself, and she now has great muscle tone from going up and down the hill and between the rocks.

Horses can hurt themselves/chipfeet etc. anywhere. If they are going to do it, they will find a way no matter how safe the pasture.

sillybunny11486 11-23-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Horses can hurt themselves/chipfeet etc. anywhere. If they are going to do it, they will find a way no matter how safe the pasture.
I somewhat disagree. Ive never had a horse with a chip or bruise in a flat, even, unrocky pasture. If you just throw a horse out there, and there are things like holes, there is a very real possibility of a horse breaking their leg.

themacpack 11-23-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 470348)
A pasture with hills, gullies, rocks, logs and other natural obstacles will do nothing but good for a horse. It toughens their feet, builds up muscles they don't get in a flat pasture, helps maintain good conformation, and teaches them sturdiness and surefootedness. The pony I am getting soon has lived in a paddock for a few years now - The whole paddock is a steep hill covered with rocks, trees, stumps, logs, and yep probably rabbit holes. When she was put in her slight cow-hocked-ness fixed itself, and she now has great muscle tone from going up and down the hill and between the rocks.

I agree completely, wild_spot!