The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Wrong lead on canter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/wrong-lead-canter-41228/)

kitten_Val 11-23-2009 02:38 PM

Wrong lead on canter

I know you suppose to bring it right back to trot and then ask for canter again. Thats what I do. But is there anything else to improve starting with the correct lead? Some days they do it perfect and then all sudden (like today) almost every time I ask she picks the wrong one. :(

RiosDad 11-23-2009 03:10 PM

I set them up so they can not fail. I bury the lead I don't want and make the correct lead the easy lead.

Sketter 11-23-2009 03:15 PM

I had a horse that did that.. you could try putting down a ground pole in one of the corners in your arena. and ask for it as she goes over the pole this can help them pick up the lead. hope that helps :)

kevinshorses 11-23-2009 03:16 PM

You need to have control of the front, middle and hind of your horse seperately. If you have the hindquarters yielded to the inside and ask at the correct time you should have no problem picking up the correct lead. Hopefully someone can explain it better than I can.

kitten_Val 11-23-2009 03:58 PM

Yes, I see what you are saying, folks. I think I'm not asking for canter in right time. I guess will just keep practicing. :)

kitten_Val 11-23-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiosDad (Post 470238)
I set them up so they can not fail. I bury the lead I don't want and make the correct lead the easy lead.

RD, could you explain it better, please? I mean HOW you do it easy? I have a feeling they just don't understand and even though I bring them back to trot and try again they don't get it.

wild_spot 11-23-2009 04:22 PM

Do you have a different aid for each lead? Or do you just ask for canter and hope they pick the right lead?

kitten_Val 11-23-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 470328)
Do you have a different aid for each lead? Or do you just ask for canter and hope they pick the right lead?

Ha-ha! That would be too good. Lol! No, I put inside leg on girth, outside slightly behind the girth, ask with outside leg with the nose slightly tipped.
And yes, right side is her weak side, so I'm currently working more on going right (I mean trot, poles, and more canter that direction).

I read in cases like that it's also better to move weight to the inside, but I don't know how true it is.

Sonnyx12 11-23-2009 05:44 PM

i dont know if this will help or not but im guessing you are willing to try anything. i have been lucky enough to not have any problems with leads so i have never tried it. but i saw in one of my dressage magazines an exercise for getting the correct lead. what you do is walk you horse in a small circle, about 10 meters. but the whole circle you have your horse counter bent. so instead of him bending around your inside leg, in your case you would be riding to the right having him bent and flexed around your right leg. Once you complete a circle or so you come on the circle to the right and immediately pick up the right lead. Im not sure if it will help, but you can give it a shot. Also, make sure you are sitting straight and balanced...leaning could affect your horses balance and make him/her pick up the wrong lead.

EquestrianHollywood 11-23-2009 06:06 PM

I have a horse with lead problems. I watch his front two legs, when the inside leg goes back I ask him to pick it up.