The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Equine Massage Therapists (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/equine-massage-therapists-41323/)

~Freedom Rider~ 11-24-2009 06:58 PM

Equine Massage Therapists

Anybody use one?

Had a lady out to day for the first time to work on my filly, because of the accident, and I am in amazment at the change in her mood, not to mention her gait and relaxation. I noticed she carried her head and neck lower, and she just not nearly as crabby as usual :roll: lol. She was calmer and just basically a lot nicer to be around.

So whats your thoughts?

MyBoyPuck 11-24-2009 07:59 PM

I wasn't sure if I saw and felt results the first time or was just hoping for them, so the second time, I had the massage therapist show me where the knots were, she then worked on the horse and had me touch the areas again to show me they were gone. When I see my horse licking his lips and yawning in pleasure during the massage, I know I'm doing something good for him. I also now know how to work out the knots on my own.

justsambam08 11-25-2009 01:38 AM

I use a massage therapist on my guy. He doesn't necessarily like having actual body work done, but he looooooves having his head/ upper neck region manipulated. I didn't notice any real changes in the way he acted on the ground or in the saddle, but his reactions while hes being worked on tell me he enjoys it.

ScharmLily 11-25-2009 07:50 AM

I learned how to do some basic massage (like a sports massage) a little while ago and tried it on my older horse. He really enjoyed having his neck done and he seemed to be happy when I was done. I wasn't able to notice any difference while riding though because he's retired to being a trail horse and he always acts the same on the trails. Of course, I'm not a trained therapist either.

AlmagroN 11-25-2009 07:59 AM

i posted about this before. i was wondering because im probably going to get my certification in a little while. i just need the extra money for it. i didnt know what peoples opinions on them was.