The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Locking Legs?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/locking-legs-41366/)

sophie123 11-25-2009 12:31 PM

Locking Legs??

I have a 5 month old filly that 'locks' her hind legs. Is this normal for horses of that age or should i call the vet? Its nothing to do with her conformation because that is next to perfect. She only does it in the morning and its just straight. She drags it along until it is normal again? Any suggestions or advice on this subject would be grately appreciated.

bubblegum 11-25-2009 01:34 PM

hi sophie, if it is any help my fella bailey does this too and scares the crap out of me. i think they are just stiff from being in and the cold weather setting in and they are growing. archie doesnt do this but bailey does it every day and leg is like really stiff, but only lasts about a minute at a time. its weird

eventerdrew 11-25-2009 01:35 PM

is the locking happening in the leg or the hock? It is entirely possible that she has a locking hock.

bubblegum 11-25-2009 01:37 PM

yeah my vet said he will grow out of it. so its possible that you have the same problem

eventerdrew 11-25-2009 01:43 PM

from what I've heard, it's not that uncommon in foals. And it usually does not affect their performance. If you are worried, call the vet and get some advice. It's not entirely necessary for the vet to come out just get some advice from a professional.

good luck!

sophie123 11-26-2009 01:04 AM

It is like what bubblegum said. I am reluctant to get the vet because he is really expensive. Is there anyway i can stop it?

Attitude05 11-26-2009 01:39 AM

locking stifle?

arabchica 11-26-2009 08:09 AM

my first horse was stifled { had locking stifle joints} He would drag his hind toes when I would first take him out of the stall. After a few steps he would be fine. I had the vet out and he severed the tendons in both hind legs at the stifle it cured the problem. He was about nine or ten at the time. That horse went on to do competitive trail rides and 4-h shows for many many years and lived a very comfortable life for 25+years.

bubblegum 11-27-2009 08:26 AM

Sophie, my vet said that they will grow out of it, it is something that happens from being in a stable without long daily turnout. which we cant really help in this weather, they do grow out of it and it dosnt cause them much pain, suppose it is like us getting pins and needles throughout our legs for a few secnds, they walk it off or drag it off in my case