The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   To all the eventers of horse forum heres my questions :D (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/all-eventers-horse-forum-heres-my-41381/)

savvylover112 11-25-2009 05:07 PM

To all the eventers of horse forum heres my questions :D

First of all who are all the eventers of the horse forum? I would like to know :D

Ok so here are my questions on eventing:
1. Do you do any other sport to keep fit?
2. How often are your horses ridden to keep fit?
3. How much time do you usually spend at one level before moving up?
4. What do you find is the hardest part to eventing?
5. What do you find is the most enjoyable part of eventing?
6. Do you have a trainer?
7. If yes to the above; Do you have an eventing trainer or do you have separate trainers for dressage and jumping?

Well that's all for now I might think of some more. I am asking these because I will hopefully be getting into eventing soon :D

StormyBlues 11-25-2009 05:13 PM

1. Do you do any other sport to keep fit? No, but I do plan on taking up Palites sometime in the future. It helps strengthen your core.
2. How often are your horses ridden to keep fit? Almost everyday, but they do ususally get a day off here and there. I do dressage at least 3-4 times a week, then trot sets 2 times a week, and then I jump once a week or less with my trainer.
3. How much time do you usually spend at one level before moving up? It depends on the horse, and your ablities. I say you should spend at least a year at one level before moving up. You always school one level above what you do.
4. What do you find is the hardest part to eventing? Dressage! Both my horse and I get a little nervous, but he's a saint and takes care of me and the highest dressage score we've gotten so far is an 38.6.
5. What do you find is the most enjoyable part of eventing? CROSS COUNTRY! It's so much fun, galloping, being one with your horse, ah it's the best!
6. Do you have a trainer? I would never dream of going into this sport without one, the dangers of going around a course without proper instruction is huge.
7. If yes to the above; Do you have an eventing trainer or do you have separate trainers for dressage and jumping? I have an eventing trainer, and I want to maybe take a couple of dressage lessons. I'm going down to Jim Grahm's in GA next month and plan on taking a couple of private dressage lessons with him.

Where do you live? Because I do know some great trainers here and there! And I know all the other eventers here are always more than happy to help! If you have any more questions feel free to ask away!

savvylover112 11-25-2009 05:15 PM

Thanks StormyBlues for being the first to answer my questions :D

savvylover112 11-25-2009 05:49 PM

Anyone else?

eventerdrew 11-25-2009 08:25 PM

1. Do you do any other sport to keep fit? No, but I do have a gym class at school so I suppose it helps.

2. How often are your horses ridden to keep fit? 6 days a week. 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Dressage 4 times a week, one hack a week, and one jumping session a week.

3. How much time do you usually spend at one level before moving up? Depends on when the horse tells me he/she is ready and I know I am ready. My policy is at least 3 events at Novice and below before moving up, and a season at any other level.

4. What do you find is the hardest part to eventing? DRESSAGE! I've never had a horse that genuinely enjoys it which rubs off on me. But my newest horse is good at it so i'm getting used to it.

5. What do you find is the most enjoyable part of eventing? Cross country. Definitely. I have to have a good XC to enjoy eventing and I always manage to find a good one.

6. Do you have a trainer? I would never event without one. Especially at my level.

7. If yes to the above; Do you have an eventing trainer or do you have separate trainers for dressage and jumping? I have an eventing trainer. She does Intermediate level (in USA) and she's great. I have taken lessons with just jumpers and just dressage trainers too.

MIEventer 11-26-2009 12:20 PM

No.

I am riding 5 days a week over the winter now that I am at the new barn and we only have 1 indoor arena, which is occupied Monday's and Wednesday's from 5 - late for lessons, so I wont ride those two days.

I do alot of Dressage work. I jump once a week.

Hacking is the best way to condition. Hack, hack, hack and then hack some more. You get the best terrain, the best conditioning opportunities and it is a great way to get both you and your horse out and exposed.

Rule of thumb, go to Jim Wofford articles, you should spend 1 whole season at the same level. Before you move up, you should be placing consistantly in the top 3 before you consider moving up.

This is a great article written by Jim Wofford:

http://special.equisearch.com/downlo...dQualified.pdf

I hate the stadium phase. I hate stadium fences, they are open and spacey and say "I'm going to eat you". lol. Seriously. I clam up, my hearts beats heavy I just want to get it over and done with. It is a mental thing, mind over matter - but I just freeze.

It's funny, you can point me at a Training Level CC fence and I'll do it without a blink of an eye, but you point me at a stadium fence and I'll try to come up with any excuse to not do it.

The comradry with other Eventers. The Team Work I have with my horse and knowing that what we score, we deserve because we've worked hard for it.

We don't place because we look pretty, or because the Judge likes the look of my horse better over others, or because the Judge is a TB lover - or other political and cliquey reasons - we place because we both worked hard for it and strived for it.

That's what I like about Eventing. You can be on the ugliest horse and still place well because of how well you peformed.

Eventing isn't cliquey, isn't political. I love being around other Eventers as well.

I would never Event without one.

7. If yes to the above; Do you have an eventing trainer or do you have separate trainers for dressage and jumping?

You can have just one trainer or seperate, it is entirely up to you. I've done both.

savvylover112 11-26-2009 12:38 PM

Hey MIEventer bout those stadium fences I am the same my friends say to me but they will fall but I just like natural looking things better :D

Thank you all for answering my questions on this I know I only have 3 replies but you guys have helped me out a lot :D thank you soooooooooo much

kerplop 11-26-2009 01:20 PM

Of course! I play squash in the winter (gives you a man body-it's great!) and tennis in the warm weather. There's lots of lunging involved in both sports as well as core strength, so between my racket sports I'm usually set for riding. Jogging is also great.

5-6 days a week in the spring through fall, and 4-5 days in the winter.

I did BN and unofficial novice stuff until I got my greenbean in the winter, but if I had the horse that I did BN and novice on still I would be aiming for training level in a year. I think the jump from BN to novice isn't that bad, but novice to training seems like a big leap to me.

Dressage. If you can't do a good dressage test, (I don't even think "decent" cuts it) you're at a huge loss. I'm extremely happy with scores in the mid-low 30s, and that doesn't happen very often. I also hate memorizing stadium courses. My brain isn't that sharp. ;P

Cross country, hands down. Also training for the event is lots of fun. I like having a schedule when I ride, and training for an event pretty much requires one, so the structure is great.

Yes.

My trainer is a dressage person but got to Intermediate before she quit because all of her eventing friends started becoming injured/dying in the 90s. (...kind of sucks...) So while it's not our focus, she still can give an excellent jumping lesson. I've also trailered out to eventing farms for jumping lessons or my barn has brought along eventing trainers to help us cross country school.

Lovelovelove eventing! Can't wait until I have a horse to get back into it.

savvylover112 11-26-2009 04:20 PM

Oh I thought of another question for you guys

8. How much is it for you to register yourself and your horse with your eventing association?

StormyBlues 11-26-2009 04:44 PM

Nt sure but if you are doing BN you dont need to be