The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Show Mess! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/show-mess-41416/)

Rodeo Pro 11-25-2009 11:37 PM

Show Mess!

I have a white horse(Steppin) and a roan bay horse (Princess) I show them in western pleasure english and showmanship. The problem is they they roll and run in the mud and are a mess all the time :-(! They are light colored and I can never get them clean! Their legs are the worst. Any tips would be great!

Attitude05 11-26-2009 02:11 AM

rugs??

Rodeo Pro 11-26-2009 12:20 PM

They tear off their blankets so that won't work.

mom2pride 11-26-2009 03:29 PM

You may just have to try to give them a good sponge bath the day of the show. Then rug them, as they won't be turned back out anyway.

HorseOfCourse 11-26-2009 03:39 PM

ah, I had this problem with a dappled grey pinto I showed my first year ever dealing with horses.We washed her the day before show, and she thought it would be fun to roll. We had to bathe her early in the morning the day of show and then tie her up until it was time to take her to the fairgrounds.

StormyBlues 11-26-2009 04:28 PM

QUIC SILVER!!!!!!!! I worship with stuff, lol!

Polaris 11-27-2009 09:22 AM

Cowboy Magic makes a product called Green Spot Remover and it works really well....I have a light dapple gray, so I have used it myself.

It requires no rinsing and is simple to use. Found it to work well on the legs as they seem to pick up stains quickly.

Might want to give it a try. :D

Kansasbarrelracer 11-27-2009 06:34 PM

My guys are always disgusting before shows. We normally get to the barn a couple of hours before the show that way we can wash them, and then just tie them up to the trailer to dry out.

Now if we are riding in a rodeo, we normally bathe them before we haul them. Let them air dry, then load them and once again keep them tied to the trailer

sillybunny11486 11-27-2009 07:06 PM

keep the horse in a stall overnight if you cant bath in the morning.

JustLeaveIt2Mya 11-27-2009 07:27 PM

my friends have a grey horse and i know that you dont ever ever want to wash it with water if its a poop or pee stain b/c it settles the stain into the hair and is a circus to get out...the best stuff is to take a rag and put it over a very very stiff brush and brush like you've never brushed before..and once that it gets out most of it vineagar works really well..if you dont mind the smell, and toothpaste lol it all helps....hope this helps you :)