The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping Fears.. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-fears-41425/)

IheartPheobe 11-26-2009 11:36 AM

Jumping Fears..

So when Roger was young, his owners thought he'd make a really nice, fancy show pony. Before he was really ready for it, they started asking him to do all these things he shouldn't have to do as a baby. (Jumping pretty high, working a loot) They pushed him too hard.
Now he's really hard to handle a lot of time, and is really, really scared to jump. Every time he'll see a jump, he'll totally bolt. Being the total sweetpea he is, he'll jump it anyways, but it's really dangerous.. yesterday he actually galloped a couple of jumps.. he'd been doing pretty well so we tried a star, and I guess it was too much for him. :\ Are there ways to help him? (He doesn't like trotting poles, either, btw) Have you had cases like this?

1dog3cats17rodents 11-26-2009 09:14 PM

Perhaps jumping just isn't his thing. We recently sold a horse who had excellent form, nice gaits, and huge springs. But he was dangerous to jump. He mentally shut down and was a strong, hot, out of controlled animal. Even ground poles would have him sweating andtrying to bolt. He's now a happy low level dressage horse

IheartPheobe 11-26-2009 10:45 PM

Well the thing is he's actually really good jumping when he calms down, so I feel like if I could just get him to trust me all the time, then maybe he might learn to like it.. I dunno. :\

StormyBlues 11-26-2009 11:43 PM

I would say to start at the lowest thing, getting him to accept standing by jumps calmly, walking calmly over over a pole, then a ple between standards, maybe lift the pole up on the base of the standard etc. Just my thoughts

ChingazMyBoy 11-27-2009 12:01 AM

I agree with Stormy Blues, get him to stand near jumps quietly.

Then if you use wings, get him to walk through the wings without a poll or anything, then walk trot and canter. Then put a ground poll in there, do the same, walk, trot and canter. Slowly raise the ground poll a tiny bit. Taking things very slowly and praising him all the way. Don't expect big things from him, set smaller goals! Hope this helps.

IheartPheobe 11-27-2009 12:44 AM

Thanks guys for your input :) Just keep in mind I am riding him with an instructor (who owns him) so I've got to do what she asks me to do with him

StormyBlues 11-27-2009 02:21 PM

Maybe talk with her about it. You both(I'm guessing) have the best intentions for the horse in mind

IheartPheobe 11-27-2009 06:37 PM

she definately does (: im gonna talk to her about it tomorrow when i ride him.. was too cold to ride today so i just groomed him and took him out

StormyBlues 11-27-2009 08:48 PM

cool, good luck

IheartPheobe 11-28-2009 04:23 PM

well I rode him today.. we just trotted over poles (He was very calm!!) and walked over them.