The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   collection/riding critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/collection-riding-critique-41429/)

JustLeaveIt2Mya 11-26-2009 12:13 PM

collection/riding critique

Check out this and critique it for me :) thanks

SavvyHearts 11-26-2009 01:32 PM

No riding critique wise but your horse is behind the vertical alot during the video, so no he is not collected.
In the second part, maybe it's just me not used to seeing the slow lope but her hind leg (her left hind) looks VERY off...not something I'd want to see on my horses at all.

But your horse is beautiful! What breed?

JustLeaveIt2Mya 11-26-2009 01:46 PM

shes a rescue and i was told her was a paint b/c of her blue eye, but she doesnt have papers they were lost in her past... in the second video she was stocked up in her hind legs b/c show season was over and school kept me from riding her every day....i did have a tie-down on her during the first video too, bc i was training her to neckrein...so i dont know if this has anything to do with it..

riccil0ve 11-26-2009 01:59 PM

No, I'm not seeing any true collection. She isn't pushing from behind, she isn't flexing and bending, and there isn't a whole lot of impulsion. I see her in a "frame" with a shortened stride.

It saddens me to see that most WP horses are ridden like a couch and that the rider's let them pull themselves along on the forehand. No, I'm not saying that's what you're doing, my point is that you can achieve that WP look and still have a forward, uphill mount that is soft and supple and really bends. Know what I mean? I hope that came out like I wanted it to, it's in no way supposed to suggest you're "letting" your horse plod around. =|

JustLeaveIt2Mya 11-26-2009 02:13 PM

are you talking about the second video or the first one riccil0ve?
Shes always been a very upward motion in her front, and from my trainer he
says she uses her backend very well, i dont know if its because these videos are so
old, that she has changed from than...i will have to get an updated one for you guys :)

SavvyHearts 11-26-2009 08:15 PM

In the videos she was not using her hind at all...well she was using them, but not in the sense of collection.

A tie-down will also have nothing to do on how a horse learns to neckrein, and personally I never like to see one on a horse...does more harm them good. The tie down might have a reason as to why the horse's head is behind the vertical though alot

JustLeaveIt2Mya 11-26-2009 08:36 PM

exactly, it kepted her head down while i was teaching her to neck rein

riccil0ve 11-26-2009 09:24 PM

Like savvy said, she wasn't engaging her hindquarters in either video. Just plodding along on her front end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustLeaveIt2Mya (Post 473428)
exactly, it kepted her head down while i was teaching her to neck rein

This statement really saddens me. Her head does not need to be down to teach to neck rein. Not in the slightest bit. How do you think it's helping? And also, a tie-down should never, ever be strapped so tightly that the horse has to keep it's nose on it's chest to get a release.

To teach to neck rein, have a rein in each hand, and when you ask her to turn right, move your hands together to the right, bringing the left rein onto her neck and simultaneously "pulling" her into the turn with your right rein.

JustLeaveIt2Mya 11-26-2009 09:33 PM

im going to say this right now, im exxxtermmmly protective of my girl, and i'd appriecate it if everyone would stop....i wanted to know wht u guys thought and im sorry i even asked....she isnt even close as slow as the pleasure horses that compete in my area and shes actually quite fast compared to them, and she is only a pony...but i am going to say im getting an updated video of her for you, well i first got her she was in horrible shape...and i've pretty much taught her everything she knows...accept the very basics (walk, trot) she didnt know how or what the canter was....but i've said all im going to say...and hope this stupid thread doesnt ruin your opinion on me as a person....

ladybugsgirl 11-26-2009 10:16 PM

I think she is really cute....there is no such thing as a pefect horse....she well come along.