The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Question from Eventer to all you Barrel Racers... (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/question-eventer-all-you-barrel-racers-41462/)

StormyBlues 11-26-2009 10:38 PM

Question from Eventer to all you Barrel Racers...

Ok, so does it ever get boring running the same pattern over and over and over again? I'm used to doing different courses and such with eventing so I think I would get pretty bored after running the same cloverleaf pattern at every show. Just a curiousity question more than anything else! Thanks!

Spastic_Dove 11-26-2009 10:58 PM

Not at all. Every horse runs it different and every ride you need to be paying attention. The arenas, footing, etc all change and I've been doing barrels since I was 7(?) and they're still a rush for me.

ChingazMyBoy 11-26-2009 11:03 PM

I do a bit of everything with my boy, but when I do barrels. No I don't find it different. The way Chinga runs the course is always different. Barrel racers don't run the course over and over again. Alot of the time is on basic turning and flat work (correct?)

StormyBlues 11-26-2009 11:16 PM

I really was focusing on competitions. Like we do mostly flatwork at home, but at each show, and each different time you go to a show, the jumps are decorated diferently, and the course is changed, so you always have to be on your toes.

Spastic-I see what you are saying about footing and such, I didn't think about that!

buddy09 11-27-2009 08:59 AM

Nope for me everytime is different because i have some many different horses to choose from well only 12 but most of the time i ride my friends horses, like ex. at one world show my friend was qualifed and she broke her arm so she asked if i would ride her 5 year old stud and i said sure why not and then she asked the board and they said sure so ever since that day i have ridden almost everyone of her horses and most of my trainer's horses and even some pretty famous horses like Jackyl in roping and team penning! But it never gets boring even when i had to run always on the same horse because you always try to beat the fastest time

zanyoutthere 11-27-2009 11:01 AM

Not at all!!! The pattern will always stay the same...but your horse will act different everytime..he may rin a crappy run, or a nice clean run...it's always thrill seeking!!

Sebastians Girl 360 11-27-2009 11:20 AM

not at all! barrel racing is awesome, and so intense. its always a competition with yourself to beat your previous time, and to beat your competitions time! the footing and arena does change. its always intense! never a bore!

Kansasbarrelracer 11-27-2009 12:59 PM

Agreed with spastic dove. I still get nervous in the alley, or even just working my horse in the exercise arena lol. Its such an adrenline rush, I still love running, it just never gets boring

StormyBlues 11-27-2009 01:20 PM

It sounds alot like dressge- you do one of 2 or 3 tests, but each time is compleatly different! Thanks guys! I want to maybe run barrels with my paint mare sometime!

buddy09 11-27-2009 01:30 PM

yea for me i get sooo pumped i dont even remember anything from the time i enter that alley to the time i make that last turn,