The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Career in Equine Massage Therapy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/career-equine-massage-therapy-41466/)

Clementine 11-27-2009 02:04 AM

Career in Equine Massage Therapy?

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm 15. My parents think that Equine Massage Therapy would be a waste of my brains, my money, and my time, but it's what I want to do with my life. I want to spend every day making horses feel better. That said, I need to make sure that I would make enough money from that career choice to actually have horses of my own. Oh, and afford a place to live. ;D LOL!

So my question is this: How many of you have horses that get massages/acupuncture/electro-shock therapy, and what is the hourly rate of your therapist?

Thanks so much! :D

PaintHorseMares 11-27-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clementine (Post 473633)
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm 15. My parents think that Equine Massage Therapy would be a waste of my brains, my money, and my time, but it's what I want to do with my life. I want to spend every day making horses feel better. That said, I need to make sure that I would make enough money from that career choice to actually have horses of my own. Oh, and afford a place to live. ;D LOL!

So my question is this: How many of you have horses that get massages/acupuncture/electro-shock therapy, and what is the hourly rate of your therapist?

Thanks so much! :D

We don't use one, but our local equine message therapist charges $60/horse. Be aware, though, that in these tough economic times, equine massage business is very slow (at least around here) and they can't make a living doing just that (most also train, etc).

AlmagroN 11-27-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 473725)
We don't use one, but our local equine message therapist charges $60/horse. Be aware, though, that in these tough economic times, equine massage business is very slow (at least around here) and they can't make a living doing just that (most also train, etc).

exactly.

i plan on getting my certification to do equ. massage therapy, but you need a backup. dont expect that to be your only job, because chances are you wont make enough. its just a course, and you can take it anytime in life, its not like you have to go to school for years to do it. in the meantime, think of something else you might want to do. then decide something like that. the business world is tough. its not like you just waltz into it. you have to get a start and make a name for yourself. the starting is the toughest part, you have to find people willing to give you a try to begin with. its not a short road. maybe you could look into being a vet tech too? just an idea.

also remember, its just the massage part youre looking at. a lot of people like the equ. chiropractors. but thats a tough one. ive looked into that. from what i gather, you have to first go to school and be certified to do humans, THEN work in that field, THEN go back and take the courses to do horses, THEN get liscensed to do that. AND on top of it, some states require more tests and qualifications before you can be licensed, and in a lot of states, you cant work on a horse without concent from the vet. its a mess! lol