The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hair gets in your eyes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hair-gets-your-eyes-41489/)

Vidaloco 11-27-2009 12:06 PM

Hair gets in your eyes

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't sure if I shouldn't place this in grooming but its also a health question. Does the forelock in a horses eyes cause sight problems over time?
I normally trim Vida's forelock out of her eyes once the fly problem ends in the fall. It grows back by the next spring so I'm not leaving her fly swatter-less. I get kidded every year when I do it but I figured I was helping her see better. Am I?
Here's a photo of her last year after I cut them. Sorry its sort of blurry but you get the idea. Her bridle path trim is growing out too so she looks like a punk rocker :lol: The forlock is usually down well below her eyes

savvylover112 11-27-2009 12:33 PM

Well I have to trim my pony's forelock because he has lost the sight in his right eye but he did not get it removed and sometimes its weepy and it gets caught in his eye alot

Britt 11-27-2009 12:37 PM

Dunno... I don't have a problem with my mares forelock, as it's never grown to eye-length... but my gelding's forelock hangs in his eyes when it's not slid over to the side of his face and he's never acted like it was a problem.

PaintHorseMares 11-27-2009 01:06 PM

It's never been a problem for our lead mare, Angel, who has a long forelock that goes lower that her eyes. She'll just toss her head if it gets in her way.

Vidaloco 11-27-2009 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I went and did it :oops::lol: Go ahead and kid away, all my IRL friends do.
Heres a before and after-

lacyloo 11-27-2009 07:06 PM

Forelocks have a purpose.They hang over the horse's eyes and its keeps the flys at bay.

Vidaloco 11-27-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyloo (Post 474150)
Forelocks have a purpose.They hang over the horse's eyes and its keeps the flys at bay.

I only do it after the flys are gone for the winter. It will grow back by spring.
I wondered if it was like English Sheepdogs. Don't they sometimes go blind in old age because of the hair?

JumpingTheMoon 11-27-2009 09:16 PM

I do the same thing. My mare gets boogery eyes when her forelock is long so I keep it just above her eyes.

And I think your girl looks lovely!

SuperStarsSugar 11-27-2009 10:26 PM

I don't think the forelock itself causes vision problems, but for horses with sensitive eyes, it can cause infections and allergic irritation/reaction that can damage vision if let alone. Allergies are usually a summer thing, infections are year round. Both of these are pretty rare, though, the way I understand it. You would know if your horse was experiencing irritation from his forelock. Someone I know had a mare with this problem and her eyes got really runny and swollen if she had forelock in her eyes. You can either chop it off (like you're doing) or braid it if you want to, but it's not really necessary if he's not showing you symptoms.