The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping Help..... (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-help-41509/)

ladybugsgirl 11-27-2009 08:00 PM

Jumping Help.....

Ok so I've only owned my horse a year and when I got her she was barely halter trained. I have busted butt with her and she has come along way. The thing is when I jump she likes to try to rush to the jump and then she leaps it like a deer. (she is a arab) and she does'nt always jump like a arab, she only does with the small jumps not when the jumps are alittle bigger.But I don't want to rush her into jumping big and not learning the basics. I know she likes to jump because when she does she always perks up and always offers.

sillybunny11486 11-27-2009 08:55 PM

what do you mean by "offers"?

If shes rushing and you dont know what to do, dont jump any higher. I would consult with a trainer. If she rushes you havent trainer her enought yet.

ladybugsgirl 11-28-2009 02:59 PM

What I mean by offers is she doesn't refuse to try....

Equuestriaan 11-28-2009 05:12 PM

Gridwork

Farm mom 11-29-2009 09:34 PM

Try setting three ground poles 10 feet apart. Trot through them untill she does it relaxed and quiet. Then add an cross rail 1 ft high 10 feet from the last ground rail. Untill she can do those calmly, she shoud not move up.:-)

LoveStory10 11-30-2009 03:25 AM

Use ground poles, about 3 of them. Put them before and after the jump, that way if she rushes, she'll trip. I know it doesnt sound very good, but thats what me and my trainer did with my jumper. Also, circle her, alot, untill she stops rushing, With one of my friends mares, Night Heat, we would circle untill she was calm and had a nice collected canter, then we would turn her and pop her over a smallish jump. All of these things worked