The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Um excuse me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/um-excuse-me-41524/)

JumpingTheMoon 11-27-2009 11:24 PM

Um excuse me?

I am moving my horses to a new barn. It's highly recommended and they train some of the world champion HUS horses. I love the facility and though it's not my area of riding, I'm going to be the only boarder so I'm not going to complain.

When asked what style of riding I do, to which I replied jumper, they laughed, slapped their knee and exclaimed "Well you must have some psychotic hot horses!" And they went on about having to deal with such hot horses.

I laughed along with them and said no my horses aren't hot or psychotic. They looked at me in disbelief when I said my horses normally don't bite, kick or raise a fuss, in hand or under saddle. They asked that I must have to ride them in some pretty strong bits and I replied no, both of them are ridden in French-link eggbutt snaffles. Their response? "Well you must just hang on then, can't believe you'd have any control at all with just a snaffle."

I explained that I can't speak for all jumpers but that I'd rather ride a horse I can control and have fun riding, than fight a horse the whole time and risk injury to us both.

Is it just me? Or does that sound a little biased?

ridergirl23 11-28-2009 12:13 AM

ugh i hate stereotypes!! lol when i say i do dressage people get this funny look on their face, its weird. lol thats ok, just wait til you show them!!!! haha, im the kind of person that never says anythign in that situation, then goes out of her way to prove them wrong :P

JumpingTheMoon 11-28-2009 12:24 AM

LOL yeh. They seemed genuinely nice folks so I'm just going to take it with a grain of salt and laugh it off. Ah well!!!

StormyBlues 11-28-2009 12:26 AM

Yeah, sterotypes arn't good! I know I sterotype hunters(and it's pretty much the same around hre but i know all hunters arn't stuck up snobs)!

Gillian 11-28-2009 12:37 AM

I have nothing against hunters but almost ALL the hunter barns and people in my area are such snobs. You get them in every discipline, but in my area, ugh. I definitely feel you. Ah well. You'll just have to prove them wrong.

PaintHorseMares 11-28-2009 06:53 AM

We're strictly recreational/pleasure trail/off trail/road western style riders, but have great respect for all the disciplines. Each has it's own set of knowledge, skills, and challanges for both the horse and rider.
Over the years, I have met a lot of folks from other disciplines that would comment that trail riding is just a... yawn... lazy walk down a path... yawn... with the horse carrying you on its back.
I always offer to ride with them, either with their horse or one of our trail mares. Only a couple have ever taken me up on the offer, but every one that did left with a completely different attitude after a 3 hour ride through the fields, woods, and creeks, jumping logs, weaving through the trees, and going from the 'pokey walk', to trotting, loping, and galloping.
Bottom line to all those folks with an 'attitude'....don't knock it until you've tried it.

JumpingTheMoon 11-28-2009 12:03 PM

I love trail riding!!

On more thought today about it I've decided to go with a cross training barn. It's further away, but they have trails, permanent jump course, cross country run, galloping fields, blanket for free, and didn't assume my horses were nutcases.

thunderhooves 11-28-2009 12:57 PM

^^ Nice choice. i hope you like it there!

JumpingTheMoon 11-28-2009 01:10 PM

Thanks Thunderhooves. Don't worry - I like double posts :-)

New_image 11-28-2009 02:27 PM

Ughh. I'd be walking right out of that 'highly recommended' barn.

If your jumpers are bad... they'd love my barrel horses!