The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Your dream cross for an eventer (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/your-dream-cross-eventer-41542/)

equineeventer3390 11-28-2009 11:52 AM

Your dream cross for an eventer

If you could cross any 2 or 3 breeds for your event horse what would they be? At first I thought about a connemara cross with a thoroughbred. Then I started thinking about an appaloosa with a thoroughbred. They are so tough and sensible and there's one I see at all the shows going prelim thats just awesome. We have a tb mare we may breed in a year or two, just not sure with what yet. And then there's teddy the super pony. so what would your cross be?

gypsygirl 11-28-2009 11:53 AM

i love hano/tb & welsh cob/tb =D

StormyBlues 11-28-2009 02:17 PM

I really don't care about breeding much. The horse just has to have HEART! I plan on getting a grey as my upper level horse though, and I really like TBxWB

My Beau 11-28-2009 03:47 PM

I've got my Oldenburg/TB. I'm set :)

...just have to wait 2 1/2 years for her to grow up.

VanillaBean 11-28-2009 08:23 PM

trakhenner/TB/arab

eventerdrew 11-29-2009 11:07 AM

I really love TB/Shire crosses. Most have fantastic jumps when crossed correctly. The 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire is the best In my opinion.

We are going to breed my TB mare in the future because she has a great jump, attitude, and amazing conformation. We might breed her to this guy because this is the recommendation we have gotten from professionals: Tamarack Lane Farm - A Fine Romance Thoroughbred Stallion in Ontario, Canada

His name is A Fine Romance and he is a proven TB stallion.

We also like this guy although his get are unproven because they are not of competition age yet. This is Cicera's Icewater. He is a CCI* competator with Team O'Connor: West with the Wind, Inc., stallion services, sales, imports

sorry. As you can see I'm a bit breeding obsessed right now :)

equineeventer3390 11-29-2009 11:28 AM

Those 2 look like great choices! We are thinking about breeding our tb mare to this guy

Connemara Stallion *ArdCeltic Art

We see him at all the events and stabled next to him at one. He is one of the calmest horses i've ever seen. Never would know he's a stallion.

Also our vet does polo and has a 6 month appaloosa x thoroughbred. She is going to be big, over 16hh, and looks like a thoroughbred minus the blanket on her butt. great mover and she already jumps! (she's not forced to but there are logs in her pasture and she runs and jumps them for fun.) so were really interested in her... they think she is too nice to do polo and is willing to sell her to us for 2,000 when she's priced at 7,000.

kerplop 11-29-2009 11:34 AM

A big boned Connemara with a small thoroughbred or warmblood breed. I'm looking for a hony/pony to event with, and anything with connemara is always awesome.

eventerdrew 11-29-2009 12:38 PM

yeah ArdCeltic Art was on the top of our list as far as Connemara stallions were concerned.

Our other pony stallion choice is a local stallion named JEF Sir Lancelot. I know one of his babies and I've met "Lance". He's sweet and he's got a great jump. Irish Gate Farm ~ Connemara&Sport Horses

Prodomus 11-29-2009 02:13 PM

My ideal cross is a warmblood/tb/1/8 draft - we are actually breeding our own crosses - We started with very select 1/2 draft crosses - two separate lines - one is a clyde/hackney horse line, the other is a belgian/tb line.

This spring we have two of our ideals due.

We have 3 of the 1/4 drafts - middle of the line we want - these are then the parents of our crosses we want for eventing. The 1/4 crosses are wonderful horses as well and will make great dressage and mid level eventers.

My swedish wb/1/4 clyde colt was bred to a trak/tb mare - and our oldenburg/tb/belgian filly has been bred to a dutch warmblood. We are so excited about these babies. Our selection process has been very detailed. Looking for specific qualities in all the crossings.