The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Detangiling a really tangled mane? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/detangiling-really-tangled-mane-415994/)

3ringburner 05-18-2014 10:06 PM

Detangiling a really tangled mane?

What are some good tips/ products?

Saddlebag 05-18-2014 10:44 PM

Cornstarch. Smoosh it into the tangles then starting at the bottom, pick them out. The cornstarch makes the hair slippery and doesn't have to be washed out.

Frieda 05-18-2014 11:04 PM

Cowboy Magic is good, but pricey.

Some people around here use WD-40, and there are a lot of wives tales regarding what it's made of. But it contains aliphatic hydrocarbons and I really don't want that stuff all over my horse and my hands.

Larissa 05-19-2014 09:32 AM

Mane and Tail Detangler has always worked wonders for me. I swear on it. It isn't crazy expensive either! Try it. And untangle with your fingers a section at a time. Then brush it with a medium or hard brush. I don't use combs bc of all the ripping of hair.

SlideStop 05-19-2014 09:41 AM

Store brand biosilk or cowboy magic. I just got the vetrolin detangle and shine serum.. It's a bit more concentrated, which I personally like. My mares tail always going into "dread locks" and it's a PAIN to brush without ripping it out. When I put in the vetrolin it brushed out smooth as silk!! NOT A SINGLE KNOT! I'll probably get the vetrolin detangle next time.
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 05-19-2014 09:51 AM

Cowboy Magic. Yes, it is expensive but one bottle will last you forever. I discovered it about 4 or 5 years ago and I still have the same bottle. A little bit goes a long way.

3ringburner 05-19-2014 12:26 PM

Lol ok, thanks guys! Will see if I can get theese tangles out!
Posted via Mobile Device

mslady254 05-19-2014 12:40 PM

Cowboy magic felt greasy to me, I didnt like the mess on my hands. I use a children's detangler spray , very cheap at a discount store, and it works pretty well with no greasy feel.

2BigReds 05-19-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 5416978)
Cowboy Magic is good, but pricey.

Some people around here use WD-40, and there are a lot of wives tales regarding what it's made of. But it contains aliphatic hydrocarbons and I really don't want that stuff all over my horse and my hands.

While it's not all that's in there, fish oil is the main ingredient in WD-40 and while I'd have to do more research, I would think that it wouldn't be as bad (or at least any worse) than most fly sprays but I could be wrong. Just food for thought! :wink: I don't know that you would want to leave it in, however... May not be good for the hair much like silicone based shine/detangler products.

Frieda 05-19-2014 01:09 PM

There's no fish oil in WD-40. That's an urban myth.

Here's the MSDS:
http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

Which also says: "Avoid prolonged skin contact"