The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Treeless western saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/treeless-western-saddles-41600/)

ridesapaintedpony 11-29-2009 11:03 AM

Treeless western saddles?

The gal who keeps Toby for me keeps urging me to get a treeless saddle. Does anyone have one? How do you like them?

Icrazyaboutu 11-29-2009 11:11 AM

I have one! I love it! It makes you feel more connected with the horse and it fits most horses, I just throw it up on Dozer and it fits him fine(Dozer is my big draft), I use to put it on Tater(an appy) and it fit him as well. I think you should try it!

ridesapaintedpony 11-29-2009 06:05 PM

Thank you. There is a horse expo in a couple of weeks nearby. Hopefully someone will have one I can sit in.

Sunny06 11-29-2009 06:42 PM

If you want one, get a QUALITY one. The crap ones stretch out and can hurt your horse's back.

ridesapaintedpony 11-30-2009 01:35 PM

Are the Bob Marshall ones quality? I think that's the type that the lady who keeps Toby for me has. I forgot to look today when I was out there.

luvs2ride1979 11-30-2009 03:34 PM

I have a Bob Marshall and LOVE it! Very comfy, great quality.

Other good brands that have western models include Ansur, Freeform, Sensation, Barefoot, and Black Forest. The last two are the most affordable. I have an English version of the Black Forest and it's nice quality for the price.

Stay AWAY from Hilason, Sydney Saddleworks, Maya, and any no-name or cheap eBay brand.

Just keep in mind that with any treeless saddle you will need to get a substantial saddle pad. I use a Skito Saddle pad with mine, the full treeless version. Skito pads are one of the most popular for treeless saddles. Other popular pads include Equipedic, Haf, Saddle Right, and Supracor.