The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Unilateral Uveitis (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/unilateral-uveitis-41616/)

SteelDust 11-29-2009 04:30 PM

Unilateral Uveitis

Hi All!
I'm new to this forum and in need of help! My horse was taken to the vet on Friday with a grey eye. The entire lens was covered. My dad took my horse to the vet and he said the condition is called unilaternal uveitis. I've looked this term up and still having trouble. Can anyone tell me what this is and is it cureable. My horse has never had anything wrong with his eyes ever! I'm so scared I could loose him. The vet has given my dad some sort of injection and eye cream to give him everyday. Steel goes back to the vet on Tuesday.Thanks

SteelDust 12-01-2009 11:50 AM

Today Steel goes to the vet anxiously waiting for results. Today he moved his head away from my Dad's hand when he waved it in front. So hopefully the medicine is working!!!

starlinestables 12-01-2009 12:16 PM

I havn't had very much experience with it but from what my friend has dealt with it's usually progressive and eventually causes blindness in the eye.

HOWEVER, there are "fly masks" that are made for uveitis.. they look like bug eye mask. My friend's horse had to wear the mask pretty much 24/7 while outdoors unless you take it off during night time hours.

Good luck! Sorry this happened to you and your horse.

7Ponies 12-01-2009 06:34 PM

I'm guessing that it's a form of "moon blindness". Our old boarders mare had it. I had to use atropine in her eye to dialate it (helps with pain by relaxing the cornea) and also antibiotic ointment. She lived to be 32 years old with this condition and was still seeing when we put her down (due to neurological problems).

Ryle 12-02-2009 11:01 AM

Uveitis doesn't necessarily equate to "moon blindness" which is a recurrent form of uveitis. Uveitis simply means that there is inflammation of a certain part of the eye and may occur from many different causes. With unilateral uveitis, trauma that has led to an infection is one of the likely causes.

Treatment of all uveitis generally starts with oral anti-inflammatories, antibiotic ointment for the eye(s) and generally atropine to put in the eye. The topical treaments of the eye are usually recommended 4 or more times a day.

Stall confinement and protection of the eye from light and debris is also recommended. Fly masks can help provide physical protection from debris that gets stirred up in a stall environment daily.

EQUINE OPHTHALMOLOGY FOR HORSE OWNERS - AAEP

You need to be very careful to continue treatment until after they eye appears normal rather than being tempted to stop when it's looking "better".