The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Properly fitting saddle- sweat marks (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/properly-fitting-saddle-sweat-marks-41639/)

eventerdrew 11-29-2009 07:50 PM

Properly fitting saddle- sweat marks

Hey guys. Can someone show me a picture of a properly fitted english saddle on the horses' back as far as sweat marks? When you take the saddle off, there are marks where the saddle was and I need to know what it looks like when the saddle fits correctly. Am I making sense? haha. Thanks in advance!

Galaxy3230 11-29-2009 08:42 PM

I don't really have a picture to show but I know when you take the saddle off the sweat marks should be identical on either side of the spine. That way you know there isn't too much pressure in any one area. When I ride the sweat marks are different each time depending on how hot it is and how long I ride, but they are always the same on either side. Hope this helps some.

luvs2ride1979 11-30-2009 11:41 AM

The whole area under the saddle should be evenly sweaty, with the only dry areas along the spine (where the saddle doesn't touch, a narrow strip). For an English saddle, you may have some drier areas under the flaps. The area where the panels touch the horse should be evenly sweaty.

ridergirl23 11-30-2009 11:57 AM

it really depends on how you work the horse, i ride at a dressage barn and the stable owner says that if you work one side of the horses back mroe then the other (to straighten the horse out) then that side should be moe sweaty. haha my horse is very weird, we have had the saddle looked at many many many times and each time the saddle fitter says: the saddle is fine, btu on one side of my horse she sweats more! haha even on her neck she does that... i think it might be because i probably get stiff on that side or something, lol, one mroe thing to work on!

but ya, what everybody else said(with somhting added form me): the saddle marks should be the same on both sides, unless you are straightening a drastically crooked horse

kchfuller 11-30-2009 01:22 PM

oh I will take a picture next time i ride and see if that helps :)