The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   rope reins (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/rope-reins-41690/)

Fowl Play 11-30-2009 11:29 AM

rope reins

My husband has been laid off for 12 months so money is really tight. My aunt gave me her old saddle and bridle/reins set up to give my daughter for Christmas. The saddle is too big for now, but her instructor looked at it and says it will be okay in a year or so. The stirrups go quite short, which isn't her problem, but the seat is a little too big still. My 7 year old is built like a 10-11 year old.

The bridle came with a hackamore and leather reins. I have to buy a snaffle bit because her instructor wants all horses to have their own bit, and she doesn't use hackamores on any horse. No problem there; the snaffle is less than $20 at the local feed store.

Depending on what they're doing in her lesson, my daughter will use leather split reins with a knot tied in them, or a rope rein. Because I am not buying much at all for Christmas, and Santa is giving her the bridle, I want her to have the rope reins too. I am waiting on the length that the instructor wants specifically, but I am looking to find the cheapest set of rope reins I can. Any suggestions?

I was somehow able to start a conversation about her dream gear with her and got that she'd like all red stuff, and a dark saddle like my boots (thank God for that because the saddle is a darker leather:wink:). My mother in law is buying her a new saddle pad specifically for her lesson horse for her birthday in March, red also of course, but I'm trying to make sure that I can make her Christmas memorable without spending a ton of money. My mother in law is also building a saddle stand (complete with head, mane and tail)

The local farmer's co-op/feed store had rope reins for $25, but no red at the store I looked. There are 2 other stores to look at, but I have to have time without her to look, so I'd prefer online shopping if I can. I've been looking on Craig's list but not having the best luck right now. I always worry on Ebay because you never get to see the stuff before you buy it, and at least through an online retailer you know it's new.

I appreciate all the help I can get. Of course I will post pictures after Christmas.

gypsygirl 11-30-2009 11:35 AM

i got some nice rope reins at farm & fleet for under $10, dont know if you have a F&F around you tho !

good luck =]

Fowl Play 11-30-2009 11:45 AM

No F&F but I you made me think of Del's which just moved in. Still have to find a time when she's not with me, but it's worth looking into. Thanks.

sillybunny11486 11-30-2009 12:13 PM

I got my rope reins at an expo. I usually get a 20ft rein if possible. How about white, and dye it? I dunno if it will rub off on your daughters hands, or the horse though.

Fowl Play 11-30-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunny11486 (Post 476450)
I got my rope reins at an expo. I usually get a 20ft rein if possible. How about white, and dye it? I dunno if it will rub off on your daughters hands, or the horse though.

Is 20 feet a typo? I can't imagine her handling that much rein:shock:. Most of the ones I've seen are 10 feet. Since we live in NW Washington, died reins would probably bleed a lot in our moist climate. Bleeding onto the horse wouldn't show much because he's red roan (mostly red) but they'd show on her!

kevinshorses 11-30-2009 12:32 PM

This is an example of a mecate like I use. I like the lead rope so I use 22 feet of rope but if you didn't want the lead you could use 10 or 12 feet of rope instead. You can buy the utility rope that looks like climbing rope or you can just buy any rope in the diameter and color that you like. The slobber straps could be made out of leather scraps or you can buy them pretty inexpensively at tack or farm stores.

Cowboy Showcase:* Using A McCarty

Fowl Play 11-30-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 476468)
This is an example of a mecate like I use. I like the lead rope so I use 22 feet of rope but if you didn't want the lead you could use 10 or 12 feet of rope instead. You can buy the utility rope that looks like climbing rope or you can just buy any rope in the diameter and color that you like. The slobber straps could be made out of leather scraps or you can buy them pretty inexpensively at tack or farm stores.

Cowboy Showcase:* Using A McCarty

I know this is helpful, but my new horse brain is cringing trying to figure it all out. I understand the extra length of rope now though, thank you. I know that for leading the horses from the hitching post to the arena my daughter has been unhooking her far rein, if it's a clip, or slipping the reins over the head and leading. She needs it pretty simple. I am pretty sure I could make my own since I make my own dog leashes so I might have to price the pieces to see if that's cheaper. Since we train field dogs we have a ton of different lengths of rope leads for the dogs and that worked out just fine, now I have to see if I can do the same for her horse lessons.

I'll spend some more time reading that again to see if I understand a little better. Thanks.

kevinshorses 11-30-2009 12:43 PM

Mostly I just posted that for the picture. The nice thing about the slobber straps is that you can adjust the lenght depending on what you are doing.

Fowl Play 11-30-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 476478)
Mostly I just posted that for the picture. The nice thing about the slobber straps is that you can adjust the lenght depending on what you are doing.

Okay, off for some more research. I might have fun building these for her!

kevinshorses 11-30-2009 12:59 PM

PM me if you have more questions.