The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help Your Horse Feel Safe With You (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-your-horse-feel-safe-you-41696/)

PechosGoldenChance 11-30-2009 12:27 PM

Help Your Horse Feel Safe With You
 
I just watched this video. Now tell me what you guys think, I'm curious to know. I personally think this lady is so sweet and nice, and that she is right about how horses feel what we are feeling and how we need to control our emotions too, I know a lot of us need to work on that as well as myself.


Kashmere 12-01-2009 07:38 PM

I saw that one a few days ago! I do like the video :)
She has good ideas too.

ScharmLily 12-01-2009 07:56 PM

That's good info :) I totally agree with everything she says.

nrhareiner 12-01-2009 08:10 PM

Need to get my barn boots out and manure scoop.

RiosDad 12-01-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 477914)
Need to get my barn boots out and manure scoop.

I feel the same way. It is a load of crap. Why don't these people stay on the natural horseman side of the fence???

PechosGoldenChance 12-01-2009 09:51 PM

Well, you two have your own opinions, no need to make a HUGE confrontation out of it *errhm* (riosdad). I happen to think she is very smart and knows her stuff. This is why I hate forums, everyone has something to say about other things, and if it's not the way they do it than it's wrong! Am I right? YES!

RiosDad- a lot of people on here seem to have a huge problem with you and your attitude, I wondered why at first, but now...I DO know why.

RiosDad 12-01-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PechosGoldenChance (Post 478053)
RiosDad- a lot of people on here seem to have a huge problem with you and your attitude, I wondered why at first, but now...I DO know why.

Sorry I offended you but it is still a load of crap:D

Peddle this stuff in the natural horse section

mom2pride 12-02-2009 12:41 AM

I personally feel she is right on; Horses are great judges of charactor, and can read emotions that the best counselors can't dig out. What she is saying is just be be aware of how you are feeling when you go out to be with your horse.

kevinshorses 12-02-2009 01:20 AM

I think she went too far and mixed human type emotions into it that horses don't have. Sometimes horses have thier own reasons for being nervous or anxious. They don't always have to take thier emotional cues from us. I try to put myself in a good frame of mind prior to riding but if I can't then I control my actions and make the best of it and that is what I expect from my horses. I can't control thier mind but I must be in charge of thier body. One of the reasons I won't tie a horses mouth shut is because I think that chomping on the bit is an outward expression of an inner emotion and I don't want to miss a change there if one occurs. Just because a rider is nervous doesn't mean the horse will be and vice versa. Horses have somewhat complex emotions that happen without any input from humans. Can humans influence them? Certainly, but it is not always the case. You can be as calm and loving as you want but still get your head kicked in because you did something stupid. Horses don't bond with people because they like our personalities they bond with us because they like the comfort that we offer rather it is food or rest or security. The bond only lasts as long as the horses needs are met. Horses don't love people. They look to us for thier needs and not much more.

mom2pride 12-02-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 478203)
I think she went too far and mixed human type emotions into it that horses don't have. Sometimes horses have thier own reasons for being nervous or anxious. They don't always have to take thier emotional cues from us. I try to put myself in a good frame of mind prior to riding but if I can't then I control my actions and make the best of it and that is what I expect from my horses. I can't control thier mind but I must be in charge of thier body. One of the reasons I won't tie a horses mouth shut is because I think that chomping on the bit is an outward expression of an inner emotion and I don't want to miss a change there if one occurs. Just because a rider is nervous doesn't mean the horse will be and vice versa. Horses have somewhat complex emotions that happen without any input from humans. Can humans influence them? Certainly, but it is not always the case. You can be as calm and loving as you want but still get your head kicked in because you did something stupid. Horses don't bond with people because they like our personalities they bond with us because they like the comfort that we offer rather it is food or rest or security. The bond only lasts as long as the horses needs are met. Horses don't love people. They look to us for thier needs and not much more.

I agree with this as well, for the most part. I'm not so sure they 'forget' us though when we are gone. The gelding I lost earlier this year was at my parents farm for about 5-6 months last year, and even though he was good for my mom, when he saw my car come up the driveway, he headed for the gate; he never followed anyone else's car up the driveway prior to that; he knew my car and he knew who would be in it. I have a hard time thinking their bond goes just as far as you feeding and caring for them, because I've experienced the opposite with several horses. I don't think that 'every' horse will be like that though, some do just enjoy human company as long as you are there, but there are those who seem to crave it all the time. jmho, and experience. :wink:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0