The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Forelock cut straight across?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/forelock-cut-straight-across-417402/)

Wallaby 05-21-2014 02:44 PM

Forelock cut straight across??

I just got a gelding that has....to put it nicely, been "overgroomed." :lol:

Someone must have, he was in a lease situation with a young girl right before I got him, gotten it into their head that it would a great idea to trim his mane and forelock. And they clearly had no idea what they were doing. There's a trick to these things!

Anyway, his mane is not great but it's long = that seems to hide a lot of the cut-straight-across-at-the-bottom-ness.

BUT his forelock. His poor forelock.
It hits right above his eyes and it's allll one length, cut very bluntly.

Is there anything I can do to make him look less goofy, any special way of cutting it to disguise the issue? I'm thinking it's just a time thing...but, if there's a way to make it better right now, I am SO all ears.

Here's what we're working with:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...16007912_n.jpg

Hellllp usssss. :lol:

Rialto 05-21-2014 02:50 PM

I would split the forelock into three sections vertically. Using regular scissors, I would point cut (make vertical cuts parallel to the hair to thin and blend) the two outer portions by either ear, leaving the middle section at a longer length. This would help create a more natural looking 'v' looking forelock.

CandyCanes 05-21-2014 02:53 PM

I'm so sorry! But that picture just cracked me up! I just can't stop laughing!!!! His face! And OH the FORELOCK!!!
Hahahahahaha

BlueSpark 05-21-2014 02:58 PM

trim the sides so it looks more natural, comes more to a point like a natural forelock, then let it grow out. I knew someone who did that to a draft cross with a really, really thick forelock, only they cut it above his eyes:shock:

KigerQueen 05-21-2014 03:05 PM

Oh boy 0.o! WELL i suggest what Rialto said XD!

ShadowRider 05-21-2014 03:12 PM

Lovely :D! I had the same issue and did what Rialto and BlueSpark suggested.

2BigReds 05-21-2014 03:38 PM

Oh lord, poor baby!!! :lol: Agreed with the above, and you can do the same general thing to the mane as well.

AQHSam 05-21-2014 03:38 PM

Using thinning shears (they are scissors with teeth.) A 30 tooth should be good. A 36 tooth will be finer - but you probably want coarser.

If you haven't used these - you don't open/close/open/close/open/close. Open/Close, clean out teeth, and repeat in a different spot.

What I would do is cut once or twice about 1/3 up from the blunt edge. This will thin out the bulk in that area.

Repeat 1/4 up from the blunt edge to thin out some more bulk.

Now, working just at the blunt edge, cut a few times, moving the scissors each time, to "soften" the edge.

You can also part the hair as suggested and using the thinning shears soften the length (long) edges and create shape. You can also gather it completely together in the center of the face and thin in a V.

Now, here is the bad news. Several people have told me that forelocks never grow back. Manes will. Tails will. Forelocks, don't. I hope they are wrong.

Avoid straight scissors like the plague. Only skilled groomers can create softness with straight scissors. And any mistakes will be very noticeable with those blunt bangs.

Work slow. Do a little at a time and stand back to assess. The goal you are trying to achieve is not to remove chunks of hair or length but to create softness and the illusion of natural growth. By reducing the thickness above the blunt edge you will create variation in the length throughout and that will also soften the blunt edge.

Post an "after" photo when you are done!!

kimberlyrae1993 05-21-2014 05:45 PM

Forelocks do grow back.. they are part of the main....
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 05-21-2014 05:57 PM

I am so sorry but I'm guilty of doing exactly the same thing - if my horses need a quick short back and sides they get one - bangs and all!!!
You could use a Solo comb to thin it out and layer it or you could pull it or you could just let it grow long