The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   When rabbits attack! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/when-rabbits-attack-41767/)

twogeldings 12-01-2009 02:23 PM

When rabbits attack!

So today I decided it was about time for my Californian doe to get her funk on with my New Zealand buck. He's more of a medium sized rabbit, and she is a rather large doe, but I figure they'll have no issues with making sweet, sweet rabbit love.

I place the buck in with the doe and...she starts attacking him?!

Chasing him around her hutch (it's indoors, at the moment) she repeatedly bites and jumps at him, being downright mean. I stick my (ungloved) hand in to retrieve the poor boy and she bites me! HARD!
Never have I ever had any problems with this girl, biting or otherwise. Then out of the blue, *CHOMP*. Ouch!
I pet her a few times a day, sometimes when I feed and water, sometimes when I just pass by. She's your average, healthy doe. I haven't a clue whats gotten into her.

I have another New Zealand buck inside as well, he's in because he was having weight issues so right now he calls a laundry basket his home. He's been steadily gaining weight and like the Californian, has no problems. Thinking I'll just put my other buck in with him (they've housed together before with no issues) for a moment so I can doctor my hand, I put my boy in there and watch for a moment just to be sure.

Same thing! The much smaller sized buck starts chasing and biting at the larger, obviously more docile, buck. I get the smaller boy by the scruff and hold him (so I don't get gnawed on again) and remove the larger, rather frustrated boy.
He's now sitting in an adjacent computer chair giving me the evil eye for putting him through such horror XD poor little guy. I'm going to be re-sexing ALL my rabbits today to make sure I don't have a monster buck instead of a doe!

makin tracks 12-03-2009 01:36 AM

Maybe your doe is suffering PMS. Or - maybe she doesn't like Kiwis!!

Poor boy. You owe him special treatment now for being so mean to him

Thatgirlsacowboy 12-05-2009 01:13 AM

She wasn't in the mood? Maybe you should... Lock the door and turn the lights down low. Put some music on that's soft and slow...

HAHAHAHAHA I crack myself up. Poor guy bunny. Maybe he needs a bandaid for his wounded ego.

Kiki 12-05-2009 02:47 AM

bahahaha this reminds me of a story my mum told me. When she was eight she had a boy hamster and her best mate had a girl and they decided to breed them. They sat there most of the day and nothing happened. Iin the end they got so frustrated her freind picks them up and starts ramming their bottoms together!!!
Animals are fickled right?

Erin_And_Jasper 12-05-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatgirlsacowboy (Post 480985)
She wasn't in the mood? Maybe you should... Lock the door and turn the lights down low. Put some music on that's soft and slow...

omg this cracked me up!!! i laughed out loud!!!