The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Rising Trot (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/rising-trot-41790/)

Java Bean 12-01-2009 07:05 PM

Rising Trot

I was looking around youtube for videos of a rising trot because I was having trouble getting the right diagonal. As I was searching, I found a video done by eHow. I read a lot of the comments and they were from people who've been riding for years, well claimed to but anyway, they said you never post in a western saddle and things along the lines of "gosh, how could you not know you don't post in a western saddle" and "my instructor told me never to post riding western".

So I guess my question is, why are all these people saying this? I've been riding western for a few years, obviously I don't know a bunch about it and that's why I started taking lessons seriously. In every lesson I've had I do rising trot. Are you really not supposed to post riding western, does it vary by location, or something like that? I don't understand! :shock:

Here's the video incase anyone's curious:

kevinshorses 12-01-2009 07:09 PM

If your riding a western pleasure horse then you don't post a trot because the horse is barely trotting. If you are realy riding and you are extending the trot then you can post or some people just stand in the stirrups. I prefer to post. 90% of western riders can not post on the correct diaganol and a most don't even know what a diaganol is.

Java Bean 12-01-2009 07:17 PM

Oh really? Thanks. I don't ride western pleasure, just the normal western, haha sorry for my ignorance on the western style. I just hop in the saddle and go, which is exactly why I felt I should be taking lessons.

Thanks

iridehorses 12-01-2009 07:36 PM

Kevin is right - real cowboys post!

nrhareiner 12-01-2009 07:59 PM

Posting is not something that is done in any western event. However a lot of western riders will post when training. I gets you a feel for your horse and who they are moving. It also will teach a horse not only to extend at the trot which is not something again that a western horse dose in shows but it helps to get a horse to move out and come back to you and teaches them to respond to your seat.

I agree that most western riders do not know how to post correctly or even know what it is. I do post at times to get my horses to do certain things. Most of the time it makes no difference what diagonal you are on for what I am doing.

Spastic_Dove 12-01-2009 08:02 PM

That woman is an idiot. *headdesk*
Anyway, posting isn't a western thing...you're never going to post while competing, but I post all the time in my western saddle. It's not going to hurt your horse or anything, you just typically sit the trot while riding western *shrug* Post away!

Java Bean 12-01-2009 08:13 PM

Thanks everyone :)

...wait, who's an idoit? lol

iridehorses 12-01-2009 08:24 PM

Posting is not done in Western events, true because it isn't necessary for any Western event that I can think. Barrels, pole bending, cutting, working cow horse, roping, bulldogging, or reining, none require a trot - which is where posting is useful. On the trail or the open range where the need to trot exists, it comes in handy.

nrhareiner 12-01-2009 08:34 PM

For me it is just anouther training tool. One that is good to know how to do and use correctly.

horseoffire 12-01-2009 08:43 PM

You normally dont post riding western, I will riding horses who trot fast, its kind of a habit sence i ride english mostly. I used to ride western, now the only time I ride western is when I ride my fiances horse.