The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Hit a dead end with weight gain (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/hit-dead-end-weight-gain-418050/)

Amys First 05-22-2014 05:16 PM

Hit a dead end with weight gain

Have tried everything to put weight on horse and have no idea what else to doesn't have worms teeth are good bit still gonna do them could it just be muscle I need yo build back now?? Please help
Posted via Mobile Device

TessaMay 05-22-2014 05:23 PM

Saying you've "tried everything" but not going into any detail about what you've tried means no one can really help you...

kenda 05-22-2014 05:29 PM

Agreed. Without knowing what you've tried and what she's getting for food currently, we can't make suggestions. Also a picture of the horse in current condition could help. Some horses are built more leanly and may appear skinny to someone who is used to thicker built horses.

Amys First 05-22-2014 09:43 PM

Sorry my bad heres alittle her story...

She is 14 years old OTTB that was put to pasture and left for alittle while (has been retrained to ride different story though) I got her in January she was about 300 pounds under weight I feed her once a day 7 pounds of Wrangler 12% pellet (not best feed but have to do till I get a job again..) she has 24/7 hay (round bale coastal) and some grass not alot live in sandy area of Florida..

She has been wormed a total of 3 times.. for all worms including tape has had vet check for ulcers so not chance of that teeth are good but will be done first pay check..

She is not being ridden at the time only light ground work for now till top line comes back..
Posted via Mobile Device

Amys First 05-22-2014 10:21 PM

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2ef0dd40.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

3ringburner 05-22-2014 10:34 PM

She doesnt look that much under weight in that pic, She needs probably 50lbs put on ... Thats a TB for ya though! Beet Pulp works good for putting weight on. Try mineral licks, or molasses buckets.

jackboy 05-22-2014 10:47 PM

First I would space her grain out I've found given that much at one time they don't digest all of it and it goes to waste. My suggestion would be to by you some rice bran and feed about two cups twice a day with your grain it will put the weight on

horselovinguy 05-22-2014 10:49 PM

I just saw your picture just before I posted this...
Didn't you just do a thread and posts about this same horse and same issue a few weeks ago...I sure remember seeing this picture and her name and, and, and...reading advice from many posters...

Your mare is not that bad in weight to size proportion. I expected a skinner with how I took your writings...she needs a small amount of weight to finish rounding her off.
She is a Thoroughbred you said...she may never be fat, round and chubby looking but always resemble lean and lanky...it truly is healthier for her to not be a roly-poly wad of fat.

At some point you need to start to work the horse so they use those muscles and not be a couch potato of mush.

The "feeding" only 1x a day the grain...same amount needs broken into several feedings if this is what you can manage.
You also need to feed more calories in than out to get weight on any animal...and vice versa to lose weight.

Coastal hay is about the lowest in nutritional value you can feed...the fact she has a unlimited supply is a great help to compensate for what it lacks in nutritional values.

Wrangler feed...never heard of it. I just looked it up...:-( :shock:

Is this what you are feeding???
It is a supplemental feed for goats, cattle, horses and sheep who live on pasture...not daily grain fed all by itself but used with another feed that compensates for what is lacking in the diet... you need to know what is lacking before just pushing this or that or you can cause more harm than you realize...like death.
  • WRANGLER 12 Pellet livestock feed
  • Dietary supplement for horses, cattle, goats and sheep
  • Feed as directed
  • As with any new product, introduce slowly over 7 to 10 days
  • Crude protein: Min 12.0 %
  • Crude Fat: Min 2.5 %
  • Crude Fiber: Max 30.0 %
  • Calcium: Min 1.4 %, Max 1.9 %
  • Phosphorus: Min 0.4 %
  • Salt: Min 1.0 %, Max 1.5 %
  • Potassium: Min 0.6 %li>Copper: Min 5 PPM, Max 15 PPM
  • Zinc: Min 80 PPM
  • Selenium: Min 0.1 PPM
  • Vitamin A: Min 3,000 IU/Lb
Do you realize there is not one review of any kind about this product...that should clue you in...

You need to do some research, reading and educating of yourself about feed for horses.
I'm positive for what this must cost you you can get better products.
If you buy from Agri Supply they do have other offerings for horses that won't cost you a fortune and will be better for your horse. This "store" is the only place I see carrying this brand when I googled it...

You say you are in Florida...is there no Seminole or Southern States dealers near you? They offer feed for horses, specific to horses needs at ridiculously cheap prices. Florida is a huge feed mill business...most of them also sell horse feed in 50 pound bags cheaply...

I think you need to change your feed being offered, feed several small meals a day of that feed and supply a better hay if you really want her to blossom more...she isn't doing badly...but she could do better. Maybe...she is a lanky Thoroughbred.

Good luck

jmo...

jackboy 05-22-2014 11:01 PM

I would put her on a 12% high fat feed plus the rice bran forgot to put this in my response

loosie 05-23-2014 06:38 AM

That feed(thanks horselovinguy) looks more like a (not great) 'ration balancer' than a feed. 7lb a day is a lot if so & while you may have chosen it because it's cheap, if you have to feed 4 times as much, it gets expensive, not to mention not knowing whether or not it's giving your horse a balanced diet. Having the analysis without the ingredients, not having sugar or starch levels mentioned(a clue??), not sure but if it's not grain & low starch, you can generally get away with once daily feedings without problems, tho little & often is always better. But especially if high starch, &/or big meals, a lot goes undigested & can cause digestive issues further down. I'd be looking into more appropriate feed & in the meantime, drop the amount & feed more frequently.