The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Jewel Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jewel-jumping-41864/)

PaintingMissy 12-02-2009 11:10 PM

Jewel Jumping

1 Attachment(s)
I was hoping you could critique this jumping picture. Now I already know my reins are too tight and I obvously forgot to release them properly. This was our first hunter hack class. Now I have never had professonal lessons but have had knowledgable friend help me out. My mare also has never been taught to jump so I think we did pretty good all things considered. Please only constructive critique. Thanks. PM

eventerwannabe 12-03-2009 12:45 AM

I think you guys have a nice start! The major things that pop at to me are...
What to work on for YOU
  • Like you said, need a bigger release
  • Your leg slid back quite a bit, your toe should be at the girth or very close to it.
  • It looks like you might be pinching with your knee a bit, causing your leg to slid, but im not very good at looking for that!
  • Your toe is pointing out. Try to get it to point more forward, or have a slight angle to it.
What to work on for JEWEL
  • She looks kind sloppy in the front end. This is not a good thing for hunters (or any horse that jumps). Do a LOT of gymnastics! With her.
  • She does look like she wanted a much bigger release, so maybe even over due your release a bit! Have a bit of slack in your reins, that is OK.
I really like that you are looking up and ahead! I also love how far down your heels are. It also looks like you guys got a pretty good take off, which is very important!

So say do lots of gymnastics, like bounces, doubles, triples, in-and-outs, everything! Do no stirrups and no reins. Count strides to help make sure that you are prepared to help Jewel out if you guys hit a rough striding.

Keep up the great work!!

**These are my opinions. [:

PaintingMissy 12-03-2009 07:57 AM

Thanks!

jody111 12-04-2009 02:38 PM

Gosh shes cute :) well done on your first show... You both look so smart and definitely the part

top poster got it pretty well :) Really to me it looks like your just a little forward and the weight just need to come back which will bring the back up a fraction and the leg forward more.

her jump in that pic is a little lazy (See how her knees are angled downwards) it could be just a one off thing or related to the height - but would be good to see more pics

I love her colour - shes very pretty - How did you go at your show?

Jake and Dai 12-04-2009 02:55 PM

I'm no expert at all on jumping but I'll throw this out there because I've read George Morris' jumping critiques so many times this phrase is almost burned into my brain and it was the second thing I thought when I saw this picture.

Try lowering your hands and pressing them into the crest of your mares neck. That should help you 'give' her more rein

You have a gorgeous girl there...so pretty, shiny and clean! That was the first thing I thought!

PaintingMissy 12-04-2009 06:23 PM

Thanks everyone.

Jody111 we got first in that class that day. It was only out of three horses though and the other two each knocked a rail down so it really wasn't that difficult. not to sound snotty at all but it really wasnt a prideful win out of great competition.

Jake and Dai that shine comes from a ton of washing and srubbing the day before. You would never reconize her in the pasture.

Jake and Dai 12-04-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintingMissy (Post 480657)
Jake and Dai that shine comes from a ton of washing and srubbing the day before. You would never reconize her in the pasture.

I actually might...you see, my pinto mare is really tri-coloured. Black, white and mud! :D