The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Wearing an ordinary helmet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/wearing-ordinary-helmet-41916/)

talkingtree 12-03-2009 05:30 PM

Wearing an ordinary helmet?

Hi,

When riding a horse, do we need to wear the ordinary horse helmet? What's the benefit of this?

Or we can wear other ones like bike or skating helmet?

Spastic_Dove 12-03-2009 05:37 PM

A bike or skate helmet is NOT going to protect you properly on a horse.
Helmets are rated for the sport in which they are used, and equine helmets are the only type of helmets that should be used for horseback riding. Make sure the helmet you get is ASTM approved with a harness (in which to snap around your neck to attach the helmet to your head not one that just sits up there).

I believe Troxel makes a fairly cheap helmet and it's worth it.

talkingtree 12-03-2009 06:14 PM

ok thanks alot!

Kashmere 12-04-2009 01:26 PM

I once rode without my helmet, JUST ONCE, and I fell off and got a light concusion!
I will NEVER EVER ride without again!
(I'm a beginner so..)

Do get yourself a helmet yes! :-)
I know it's not required once you're over 18 in some stables where you can take lessons, but safe yourself a good headache, and wear one at any time ;-)

sillybunny11486 12-04-2009 01:28 PM

yup you can get a troxel for like $35

Vidaloco 12-04-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 479694)
A bike or skate helmet is NOT going to protect you properly on a horse.
Helmets are rated for the sport in which they are used, and equine helmets are the only type of helmets that should be used for horseback riding. Make sure the helmet you get is ASTM approved with a harness (in which to snap around your neck to attach the helmet to your head not one that just sits up there).

I believe Troxel makes a fairly cheap helmet and it's worth it.

I think that is just no fair and no fun *pouts* When I asked for helmet advise on this forum some time ago. I was told that this helmet was not appropriate for horseback riding. I wanted one so badly just so we would look really fast going down the trail.
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/fea...met/aero9w.jpg
I ended up with a Toxel and OK I admit it, it is more....functional :-(

ridingismylife2 12-04-2009 02:58 PM

^ omg! xD

hahahaaa. :D

talkingtree 12-04-2009 07:02 PM

strange enough a bike helmet looks tougher and yet a horse riding helmet is more useful?

Spastic_Dove 12-04-2009 07:24 PM

Bahaha vidaloco.

The equine helmets are actually rated "tougher".

I'll be honest, I ride without a helmet a lot. But when I do wear one, it is certified and approved for horses. :)

StormyBlues 12-05-2009 11:02 PM

I have a troxel, has lasted me a good while, grated I have taken a couple falls in it, but nothing straight on the head ;)
I do ride without a helmet if I hop on Bareback out in the feild, and I have galloped bareback without a helmet, but I do wear one all other times! :D