The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Piaffe, passage and all that beauty walk... (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/piaffe-passage-all-beauty-walk-41983/)

Thelma 12-04-2009 02:12 PM

Piaffe, passage and all that beauty walk...

i riding my icelandic horse to dressage and i got an idea to teach him passage and piaffe for more professional look! i think hes ready to do that...

how do i teach those things, all of those ideas on google are so "easy" but it can't be like that, it doesn't make sence you just let him trot and slow im down easy and when he does that you treat him, then you do it again and again until he is down to non-walking!!

or does it?

sillybunny11486 12-04-2009 02:32 PM

you're not ready if you dont know how to teach or execute the movements. i would get a trainer to show you on a school master first.

luvmyperch 12-04-2009 03:13 PM

There's so much work that comes before the upper level movments. It's not really something you can just "teach" a horse, like a trick. Find a good dressage trainer that can take you and your horse through the steps to that level.

Scoutrider 12-05-2009 08:27 AM

I agree with the above posts 100%. High-level dressage maneuvers are not tricks, but the culmination of years of training through the training scale. I suspect that the reason that the instructions that you've found sound so simple is because they assume a high level of training on the horse already and are omitting the assumed years of mental and physical training from the directions.

My advice to you would be to look into finding a good dressage instructor/trainer, and see where your horse does stand, and start taking things up from there. There is so much that goes into high level maneuvers, not only the training background of the horse, but his conformation and physical strength play crucial roles in the ability to perform things like piaffe and passage.

Looking professional is far more about the quality of the training than the quantity of "tricks" taught. :wink:

xLaurenOscarx 12-05-2009 12:29 PM

i taught oscar dressage from a book..

Spyder 12-05-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xLaurenOscarx (Post 481243)
i taught oscar dressage from a book..

Which book would that be ?

xLaurenOscarx 12-05-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 481344)
Which book would that be ?

diffrnt ones, on dressage

Kayty 12-05-2009 05:39 PM

Yep but is Oscar working 100% correctly?? Doubt it.

ridergirl23 12-05-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 481518)
Yep but is Oscar working 100% correctly?? Doubt it.

99% of any dressagehorse isnt working 100% percent correctly, they all have their little habits or problems. thats why no matter what level in dressage your (not you specifically,everyone) horse is you always have somethign to work on, lol which is what makes dressage fun :D i personally like to learn from my trainer, and read books just so that i learn even when im not at the barn.

Spastic_Dove 12-05-2009 05:50 PM

Im sure her horse works fine. As far as Piaffe, Passage, or other more high level maneuvers, I think one on one instruction is far more beneficial