The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Point Two Body Protectors (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/point-two-body-protectors-42055/)

upsidedown 12-05-2009 01:16 PM

Point Two Body Protectors

I know they aren't beta approved, and I'm not even sure if they even sell them to the US, but I thought I'd ask if any of you had seen these:
Point Two Inflatable Air Jackets

There is a strap, like little kids have, across the front of the pommel that connect to the D-Rings of your saddle. To that you connect a cord which connects to the vest. If you fall, ie the cord gets pulled out, the jacket inflates. I thought it was pretty interesting and in some situations would be helpful. In Europe you can't wear it alone, you have to wear it with another vest. They also say it works better with a more flexible vest, I guess like a Tipperary.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on this? In some countries in Europe you have to wear a body protector to jump at all in competitions if you are under 18, even show jumping so they aren't just using it cross country. Though they have some big name eventers endorsing it and riding in it on their website.

Lobelia Overhill 12-06-2009 10:33 AM

Most of the people riding at Badminton 3DE this year were wearing them, saw several people fall off, and the jacket inflated and did it's job. Quite a lot of people are using them as body protectors these days, I was thinking about getting one!

The main 'fault' with them is that if you forget to unhook the strap when you dismount the jacket will inflate. They don't inflate if you don't part company with the horse, which is why you have to wear an ordinary body protector under one for competing.

gypsygirl 12-06-2009 10:37 AM

huh interesting

i would like to actually see one sometime but it sounds like some big names like them

equineeventer3390 12-06-2009 06:57 PM

I really like them and I would definately wear it over my tipperary. Almost got one for christmas. But there's one big problem with them. If you and your horse fall together and he lands on you, you have no protection because it wouldn't inflate.