The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Help/Advice with NH (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/help-advice-nh-42068/)

jhorsespace 12-05-2009 05:17 PM

Help/Advice with NH

I am looking at starting to do Natural Horsemanship with a 2 year old shetland pony. Since i have been spending more time with him, he has calmed down a bit.
I have been looking at videos on youtube and reading about NH but i would like to know if any one has any good advice and wheres the best way to start?

Sorry about my spelling, but i now live in Portugal and i have forgotten some english spelling :-P

Jessica x

Spirithorse 12-05-2009 06:37 PM

Hi! I think it's great you are looking into doing things more naturally with your pony. I personally love the Parelli program, so you could go to www.parelli.com and look over their website and learn more about it. They just released their new Levels program and are running a special right now (I believe it's still active).

Crimsonhorse01 12-05-2009 06:48 PM

There are many different NH trainers. I would look around and find the one that suites you best. Good luck!

jhorsespace 12-05-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse (Post 481515)
Hi! I think it's great you are looking into doing things more naturally with your pony. I personally love the Parelli program, so you could go to www.parelli.com and look over their website and learn more about it. They just released their new Levels program and are running a special right now (I believe it's still active).

He's not my pony, wish he was :P
But anyway, i will take a look at the website.
Thank you :D

jhorsespace 12-05-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimsonhorse01 (Post 481527)
There are many different NH trainers. I would look around and find the one that suites you best. Good luck!

Okay. Thanks :D

Scoutrider 12-05-2009 07:14 PM

There are lots of "name brands" of NH that are popular here in the US... here's a short list, most of these trainers have home study systems that are fairly readily available online, or used via eBay.

In no particular order, except maybe most publicized:
Pat and Linda Parelli
Clinton Anderson
Julie Goodnight
Chris Cox
John Lyons
Dennis Reis

Also, I highly recommend reading some of the "old time" masters of what came to be known as NH: Tom Dorrance, Ray Hunt, etc. These guys provide fantastic insight into the whys of training, above and beyond the step by step processes that often focus on method and results.

As Crimsonhorse said, there are tons of NH trainers out there, do your homework and figure out which one suits you, the horse, and your goals.

Good Luck! :D

jhorsespace 12-05-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutrider (Post 481545)
There are lots of "name brands" of NH that are popular here in the US... here's a short list, most of these trainers have home study systems that are fairly readily available online, or used via eBay.

In no particular order, except maybe most publicized:
Pat and Linda Parelli
Clinton Anderson
Julie Goodnight
Chris Cox
John Lyons
Dennis Reis

Also, I highly recommend reading some of the "old time" masters of what came to be known as NH: Tom Dorrance, Ray Hunt, etc. These guys provide fantastic insight into the whys of training, above and beyond the step by step processes that often focus on method and results.

As Crimsonhorse said, there are tons of NH trainers out there, do your homework and figure out which one suits you, the horse, and your goals.

Im certainly going to read about them :D
Thank you :D

kevinshorses 12-06-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutrider (Post 481545)

Before you look at any of them read Think Harmony with Horses by Ray Hunt and True Unity by Tom Dorrance. Then take a look at Brian Nuebert and Buck Brannaman they have spent a lot of time with Ray Hunt and Tom Dorrance and have the best grasp of the why with the ability to demonstrate and teach the how as well.

jhorsespace 12-09-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 482461)
Before you look at any of them read Think Harmony with Horses by Ray Hunt and True Unity by Tom Dorrance. Then take a look at Brian Nuebert and Buck Brannaman they have spent a lot of time with Ray Hunt and Tom Dorrance and have the best grasp of the why with the ability to demonstrate and teach the how as well.

Okay.

Dakotashadow 12-10-2009 12:15 AM

I'm new to this group but not to NH. I agree with kevinshorses. Those are great books. I just found a great place to rent horse DVD's called Giddyupflix. It's a good way to see which people you like before investing tons of money.