The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   i need help (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/i-need-help-42069/)

flirt 12-05-2009 04:19 PM

i need help

ok i have just started jumping my horse, we have made it to the 1.8 ft and she is doing good at that but when ever i go to take it a little higher, she freaks and runs straight through the jump what can i do about this?............and my friend said that i lean too much to the right what can i do to correct my posture??

my horse is a 16.2 hh ASH

thanks in advance!

ThatNinjaHorse 12-06-2009 05:25 AM

I dont know much about jumping, but if she's rushing and getting nervous you shouldn't raise the height. What have you been doing with her? Any pole and gridwork?
It would help if you had a video or something. But you really need to get a trainer to help you.

anrz 12-06-2009 10:07 AM

I agree with getting an instructor/trainer. If it really is because of your position, a lot of two-point at the walk, trot, and canter will help a lot. Also no-stirrup work. Another thing that you might want to do is really focus on staying centered in the saddle. Ask your friend (or someone else) if you really are centered, and then work on getting that feeling again if you are. If you aren't, correct it so you are. Chances are that it will feel weird to be where you want to be for a little bit if you've been leaning right all the time. I can't help with the rushing part other than to say that you might want to lay off jumping that height until you fix your position and do more flat work and grid work with lower jumps. Is your horse new to jumping, or are you new to jumping? I'm a little confused :).

ChingazMyBoy 12-27-2009 06:33 AM

You should get an instructor/trainer as said above, if you can't find a friend who is an excellent jumper and ask for them to give you a hand. As anrz asked, who is new to jumping. You or your horse? If both of you are, without an instructor/trainer/friend. Point blank, You won't get far. Although in some cases people do (but I do NOT reccomend it). Non- stirrup work can do wonders, two-point. Not just little bits, but holding it for around an hour (It works), on the flat! You should be able to feel if you are centered, is it possible that your stirrups are different lenghts, sometimes the left one becomes stretched from mounting.

How old is your mare? Has she got the muscles to jump higher. Are you rushing into jumping her higher/harder to quickly? There is ALOT you need to think about, that is why I reccomend a trainer. I've been jumping wihout one for 6 months. I use to jump with a trainer, and now I have a HUGE ammount of bad habbits, now I'm back jumping with a trainer, so things should improve.

barnprincess 12-27-2009 12:34 PM

Dont ever raise the height in these situations, LOWER it. do a lot of trotting poles and small x-rails.every time he speeds up , circle him. Point him back twords it , he rushes circle again. its a long long process but it works when he gets the hint. and i also suggest getting a trainer.

--
she's probably freaking when it goes higher b.c she is not comfy going that high just yet. work on small jumps untill you both get your lessons down pat and confidence up.

veganchick 12-27-2009 02:00 PM

try letting her loose in an arena with man different jump sizes for a day. have jumps ranging from ground poles to 4 ft and have alot of different types. This is how we trained my TB who was terrified of jumping.

veganchick 12-27-2009 02:29 PM

but, don't force her over an jumps or anything, just let her see that they mean no harm.

barnprincess 12-27-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veganchick (Post 501810)
try letting her loose in an arena with man different jump sizes for a day. have jumps ranging from ground poles to 4 ft and have alot of different types. This is how we trained my TB who was terrified of jumping.

sorry i dont agree. that will make the case worse. rushing is caused by a few things, ill-fitting tack , nervous rider, nervous horse, un balanced horse or all of the above and many more . making them higher will only cause the issue to get worse. if shes rushing over 2 ft jumps then you need to go back to xrails and refine your approach.

veganchick 12-27-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnprincess (Post 501854)
sorry i dont agree. that will make the case worse. rushing is caused by a few things, ill-fitting tack , nervous rider, nervous horse, un balanced horse or all of the above and many more . making them higher will only cause the issue to get worse. if shes rushing over 2 ft jumps then you need to go back to xrails and refine your approach.

I'm not saying to have the horse jump them, just to walk around them and get used to them. Rushing from my horse was caused by fear of the jump itself, and letting him loose in an arena with 7 jumps of many dif sizes set up really helped him build up confidence. I'll post the before, during, and after videos on here once I figure out how. Sorry if I sound defensive, I'm not trying to be. I'm only trying to clarify what I mean. :-)

barnprincess 12-27-2009 05:22 PM

i've never heard of that before.. its usually not the look of the height ... its the fact they cant make it over confidentley. so doing smaller jumps to build her strenght esp if they just started jumping is the key. not height. starting jumping like this is how horses get so rushy and sour when they simply aren't ready and the owners keep making them higher and higher. if your just starting you stick to 1 footers and x rails for MONTHS before you go any higher.