The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Thin mane and tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/thin-mane-tail-42083/)

JavaLover 12-05-2009 06:33 PM

Thin mane and tail

5 Attachment(s)
My Standie has a nice long mane, but it isn't very thick. His tail is also quite short.. I would really like to thicken up the mane and help his tail grow. Anyone have some advice? :)

xLaurenOscarx 12-05-2009 06:37 PM

Oscars tail used to look exactly like that! What ive done is just not brush it. the more you brush it the more hair comes out so id just brush it after i wash it and put loads of conditioner in it then finger comb it. it makes his tail look a lot fuller. maybe its just his breed. i dont think he will ever have a tail as thick as a cob

mom2pride 12-05-2009 06:46 PM

You could try braiding and bagging it; that way it doesn't get damaged by getting pulled out in the pasture, laying on it, etc.

That's what I've done with my new mare; when I got her I trimmed off the burnt brittle ends, and started braiding it. She's grown back, already, what I trimmed off, and then some. I condition, and wash (when it's warm enough) every time I rebraid.

JavaLover 12-05-2009 08:38 PM

Thank you :)

I've tried braiding his tail but I find that he starts to rub it off when it's braided.

PechosGoldenChance 12-05-2009 10:09 PM

Does he rub the tail bag off, or his tail? If it's his tail he rubs off, it's because it needs to be washed really good and dried really good before bagging in it. Also, I've heard M-T-G works amazing for both mane and tail, I've never tried it yet but I will soon. I would try to bag it and put some conditioner in it before bagging it. Also, as stated above, don't comb it out, use your fingers.

JavaLover 12-05-2009 11:19 PM

Hm. I've never put a tail bag on him. I don't really know how.. Haha.