The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   first hunter show video! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/first-hunter-show-video-42091/)

kflannery 12-05-2009 08:03 PM

first hunter show video!

Please check out my video! This is my 6 year old at our first hunter show. We have been training pretty hard. We got Grand Champion for our hunter division and Reserve Champion for equitation out of 16.
Next month we are moving up to 18 inches. We jump 2'6' at home easily, but I dont want to push him too much at the shows. He seemed to be having a blast! So I want to keep it fun.
Im 39 years old so I dont have too much time to reach my 2'6 goal at the show. hopefully next year!
Thanks for looking!:-P

fourtwentyam 12-05-2009 09:23 PM

I love that you're not pushing your horse - so awesome. He seems like a natural hunter, he has a nice pace and his striding was nice!

The only thing I could critique on is, and I know these are just small crossrails, but you could go into two-point more. Your position doesn't change from cantering to over the jump at all and even though you really don't /need/ to release because your horse is barely jumping, it's a good habit to form.

But good job on winning! Hope you knock 'em dead at every show!

kflannery 12-05-2009 10:02 PM

Thanks! will do!

Cheshire 12-05-2009 10:10 PM

You two work great together. Such a calm, even stride. Beautiful. Here's to many more fun and successful shows!

kflannery 12-05-2009 10:26 PM

Yes! It was Great! We worked so well together! It made me bond with him so even more after that show. All in good times! looking forward to january! :wink:
We actually got our flying changes this week, so I hope to have them down solid by next show.

PoohLP 12-06-2009 12:54 PM

Actually though, although you could do little bit more, it is good that you aren't over releasing or perching. That is one of the biggest problems people have and if you get used to doing too much at lover levels, it is hard to dial it back. As someone who is having this difficulty, it is much easier to work on giving bigger releases over bigger fences, and having a nice moderate release over tiny fences than it is to fix a habit of over releasing over all sizes of jumps.

My biggest concern would be whether you would release enough with your hands over larger fences. You are releasing, but not much, which is appropriate considering you horse is mainly cantering over the fences. I think we'd need to see a vid. or pic of you over larger fences to see if you need to release more in general.

gypsygirl 12-06-2009 01:04 PM

i think you guys look awesome !! =D

HalfPass 12-06-2009 04:09 PM

Great job!!!
I thought the two of you looked really well. So steady and I liked his pace.
Yay for you!!
HP

1dog3cats17rodents 12-06-2009 04:17 PM

You guys have themakings of a great hunter pair! A steady, quiet round with good distances is the biggest goal, and that was such a pretty round. Once you get lead changes it will b even better. I agree you could release a bit more, but it's not a huge issue over such small jumps.

JumpingTheMoon 12-06-2009 04:26 PM

Nothing to add other than I agree - you guys look great!