The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Do you vaccinate for Strangles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/do-you-vaccinate-strangles-4210/)

Got2Gallop 11-05-2007 01:54 AM

Do you vaccinate for Strangles?

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone out there has vaccinated for Strangles? I'm moving my filly to a new barn where the owner requires it, but I've never vaccinated for it before. I don't know how much location matters but I was in Cal with my last two horses and now I'm in Oregon. I've heard that intranasal vaccination is less risky and I would appriciate any input!!! Thanks!

AKPaintLover 11-05-2007 02:12 AM

I have vaccinated for it a couple of times when suggested by the vet, but I have been told by other vets that it is not a big necissity. It was given to my horses the internasal way. It really wasn't a big deal - if the barn requires it, there is probably a good reason (past issue with outbreak or something), and I would just do it.

giget 11-05-2007 05:58 AM

thats quite funny because im in exactly the same situation iv just moved to a new agistment centre which requires vaccinations against
tetnus and strangles. im doing the course through intramuscular injections iv never actually heard of internasal vacc maybe we dont have these in australia. but its pretty easy to vacinate them and a you will have to do it if the barn insists.

kitten_Val 11-05-2007 07:12 AM

I did until they turned 3.

Donanuge 11-05-2007 10:16 AM

I do vaccinate internasal also, although I have one horse that has had strangle previous to my owning him. They say that they can't get it again, once they've had it, but I still vaccinate him as well. Just in case.

Dona

Ryle 11-06-2007 10:43 AM

Strangles vaccination is only recommeneded in "high risk" situations because the vaccine isn't going to prevent disease in most cases and it does carry increased risk over other vaccinations. Boarding situations where horses come and go alot, horses that compete, horses in breeding farm situations, etc are all candidates for vaccination against Strangles. Young horses are also more at risk and so many vets recommend vaccinating weanlings and yearlings.

The intranasal vaccine is a bit more effective at lessening the symptoms of disease and preventing disease than the IM vaccines, but it comes with the increased risk of abcessation at injection sites if given at the same time as other vaccinations.

In 3/4ths of the horses that contract Strangles, a long-lasting immunity develops and can be protective for 5 yrs or more. However, you should also remember that there is a chance that any horse that has had Strangles is harboring the bacteria and shedding it randomly for months to years without showing any symptoms. Horses that have had strangles should also not be vaccinated within a year of having the disease as this greatly increases the risk of severe auto-immune reaction to the disease (purpura hemorhagica).

slew 11-12-2007 09:19 PM

I have always vaccinated all my horses for strangles, I think everyone I know here in Australia vaccinate yearly. I find it strange that people don't vaccinate. It is just the norm here. You can just get an 2 in 1 strangles and tetanus IM, we just buy it from horse shops or feed stores or vets and stuff and do it ourselves. Never heard of side effects and horses that are vaccinated if they catch it they dont get half as sick.

Ryle 11-13-2007 09:57 AM

Slew,
You should be aware of the adverse reactions associated with Strangles vaccinations since you do give them regularly and on your own. Being able to identify the onset of an adverse reaction may very well save your horse's life. You should also be aware that there is way more to protecting horse's against strangles than just vaccination. The recommendation for vaccination only in high risk situations here in the US is due to a more thorough understanding of the disease and the risks associated with vaccination --information that has been published in the last 2 years based upon several studies.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle....8&kw=strangles

stefie 11-13-2007 06:30 PM

Quite funny coz atm i am vaccinating my horse but over her in Australia we have a course that we go through and its tetnus and strangles together and there r 3 injections that you have to give them over a period of time normaly two weeks apart from the other ones, thats after you have given the first.
i find its better to be safe than sorry, y wait till something happends then give em better to be over and done with i think anyways lol

fordchic2011 11-21-2007 08:22 PM

strangles are deadly

I think you shoud vaccinate your horse because it's a very deadly disease that can kill a young horse trust me, i know this first hand!! And if you horse does by any chance get it, you have to go threw a lot to get it better including confining your horse cuz strangles spread fast and easy if not treated right away. So i would consider recomending getting the vaccination