The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle restoration (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-restoration-42107/)

ChunkyPony84 12-05-2009 11:41 PM

Saddle restoration

My husband recently acquired his father's old saddle. It has been in storage for a long time and he is wanting to try and use it again. We are working on conditioning the leather and I think all the leather is in good shape. Only thing is the padding underneath the saddle is completely shot. Is this a part of the saddle that can be replaced?

LNW0923 12-06-2009 12:33 AM

I have the same problem with one of my saddles it is a older saddle and the the paddings very thin on the bottom. We have a friend who repairs saddles and makes new one and I asked him about mine. He told me that to put new padding on the bottom that he would have to take all the stitching out and basically have to take the whole saddle apart and then have to stitch it all back together agian. He told me instead of getting my saddle fixed and spending alot of money, was that if I had a thin saddle pad to double it up or buy a thick saddle pad this way the saddle wont hurt the horse. I Hope This Helps! :)

ChunkyPony84 12-06-2009 12:56 AM

Thanks for the information, sounds like thick saddle pad it is.

LNW0923 12-06-2009 12:57 AM

Your Welcome. Thats the Same Thing I Done.

Tack Collector 12-06-2009 01:40 PM

Western saddle? I had Amish do mine in fake sheepskin for about $50. The real sheepskin was $100. They didn't do the greatest jo. Just took the skirts off, stitched new fleece onto them with a machine, and didn't try to reuse old stitching holes or anything to do a really super-neat job of it.

All that fleece really does, afaik, is keeps the saddle pad from skidding out from under the saddle. So, even rough leather there will do the same thing. If it's a really good show saddle or something of sentimental value, I'd pay to have it done right. But otherwise, it's not worth spending on.

English saddle? If the leather's not cracked and it had wool flocking, it can be restuffed for $100 - $200. If it's serge (fabric) or cracked leather or leather covered foam pads that broke down, then replace the whole panel with new leather and flocking for $265 - $300 is required.