The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need Tack info.. bridle fitting, colors etc.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-tack-info-bridle-fitting-colors-42116/)

horseluver50 12-06-2009 03:22 AM

Need Tack info.. bridle fitting, colors etc..

Okay, so i am 95% chance getting a horse, if she passes the vet check, which she is most likely going to :)

Some questions i have to ask, as i have to buy all tack for her..

Bridle:
Do you have to fit a bridle to your horse? Or, is it like only 3 sizes.. pony, horse, wb/draft?
She is a qh mare, small head and neck. about 15hh.
What type of bridle is best...(western) does it matter if browband, one ear, 2 ear?

Reins:
How do you know if they are good quality?
I would like to get leather split reins, they are quite light in weight.. the ones we looked at.. is it best if they are light or heavier?
Also, they were quite thin in width.

Saddle:
Do i need a saddle?
I would lunge her and groom her/hang out for the first week or so.. but do i really need a saddle as long as I have a bridle?
We would get a bareback pad.... and in spring/late winter get a saddle when we have enough money.

What colors would look best with a red dun? She has a blaze :)

HalterHorsePaints 12-06-2009 01:40 PM

ok bridle you want an horse size it depends on your style i like one and two ear bridle but i show western pleasure and i like it with silver my reins i would get split reins that have some weight to them but not real heavy and witdth is up to you whatever feels good in your hands. saddle i would get one and you want to make shure it has full QH bars. but if you are going to ride her bareback thats fine to because you get to feel the horse better and learn its strides and if it was to do anything aka bolt, buck spin you can feel it quicker and react better. so hopefully i helped you some and i cant wait to see pics

horseluver50 12-06-2009 02:06 PM

Thanks so much, you helped a ton!
So, if i am showing western pleasure, and reining.. do you have to have the one or two ear bridle.. or can u have a browband?
Of course I will have pics.. but i wont be getting her until 2 weeks :(

vivache 12-06-2009 02:31 PM

I think in WP, a 2-ear would be nice. It's all personal preference-- which do you like better?

horseluver50 12-06-2009 03:06 PM

Im not sure.. they both seem the same to me, im just wondering if its necessary in showing to have 2-ear 1-ear bridles..
I like the looks of the one ear/two ear.. but i also like browbands :)
Thanks

Scoutrider 12-07-2009 08:06 AM

Bridle size can really vary between brands. I find that bridles marked "cob" or "large pony" fit smaller, older-type quarter horses well. The bigger framed new-style QH's and Appendixes are a better candidate for a "horse" size. Taking measurements of your horse and comparing them to different bridles may be your best bet until you get a feel for "her" sizes. As far as style goes, I think one or two ear headstalls are pretty popular in the western show world. Most of them don't have throatlatches, however, you may want to look into one that does if you plan on doing much trail riding. Bridles without throatlatches just come off a little to easily for my taste.

As far as the bridle goes, if I were in your shoes I think I would at first get something like this: Harness Leather Trainer Headstall - Smith Brothers , for daily use, and later get something more showy, like this: Tory Oklahoma Double-Ear Silver Headstall - Smith Brothers , for showing. Some show saddles, esp WP saddles, will come with a matching headstall.

Reins are really personal preference as far as the thickness of the leather. I personally have smaller hands, so thinner reins give me a better feel than thicker ones. Take a trip up to the tack store and hold a few different thicknesses, and get an idea of what feels good to you.

You'll probably want a saddle. If you are planning on showing WP and reining, you may want to decide which you will probably show more, since they use slightly different styles of western saddles.

WP - Western Show Saddles
Reining - Horse Reining Saddles

A reining saddle might be better if it's also going to be your "daily driver." I feel guilty if I ride in my silvery pleasure saddle outside the show pen.
At very low levels and open shows you could probably rein in a WP saddle or ride WP in a reining saddle, but much higher levels than that, not having the "correct" saddle may cost you points. As far as sizes for saddles, unless you have some experience fitting them, I'd recommend finding a saddle fitter in your area, or a knowedgable buddy to help you fit it to your mare. Full QH bars aren't always necessary, but often are. I have a semi-QH tree pleasure saddle that fits some QH's but not others, and I've even seen a couple that needed a narrower tree than the semi. Someone at your local tack store can probably assist you, as well.

That was probably more info than you ever wanted, ha ha. Hope that was helpful to you. Good luck on buying your horse! Can't wait to see pics! :D

kitten_Val 12-07-2009 08:43 AM

First of all bridle has bunch of holes to adjust, so you don't really need to "fit" it. :) Horse size is most typical unless your horse has really small head. But considering it's qh and 15hh, it doesn't sound all that little to me.

I personally prefer V-shaped browbands, and don't like much one-two ear bridles, but it's a matter of choice really. As for reins, I always go for how they feel on touch. Some have really smooth and soft leather, some are stiff and I just stay away.

sillybunny11486 12-07-2009 09:46 AM

My stocky 14.3 APHA fits nicely in a cob. (Ive had a hard time finding western bridles in cob size, I see more english cob bridles.)
For reins- its personal preferance, but I like them longer and not too thick.
Saddle- after you buy her get one. See if you can get a saddle fitter out, or frame her withers, with a coat hanger to get an idea when you visit the tack store. Trial saddles are great as well. If you think she might muscle up, gain or loose weight (depending on her curreny body scale) you may want to get an inexpensive saddle now (but makre sure it still fits.) If you think she could change so much you need a different gullet size dont splurge on a shiney new saddle. P.S. even adjustable gullets (like wintec) may be out grown, it adjust the front not the whole channel. If you are
buying a western saddle I think they are more flexible as far as horses growing. Ive never bought one, but it seems like english saddles have alot more sizes as far as the channel.

horseluver50 12-08-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Bridle size can really vary between brands. I find that bridles marked "cob" or "large pony" fit smaller, older-type quarter horses well. The bigger framed new-style QH's and Appendixes are a better candidate for a "horse" size. Taking measurements of your horse and comparing them to different bridles may be your best bet until you get a feel for "her" sizes. As far as style goes, I think one or two ear headstalls are pretty popular in the western show world. Most of them don't have throatlatches, however, you may want to look into one that does if you plan on doing much trail riding. Bridles without throatlatches just come off a little to easily for my taste.

As far as the bridle goes, if I were in your shoes I think I would at first get something like this: Harness Leather Trainer Headstall - Smith Brothers , for daily use, and later get something more showy, like this: Tory Oklahoma Double-Ear Silver Headstall - Smith Brothers , for showing. Some show saddles, esp WP saddles, will come with a matching headstall.

Reins are really personal preference as far as the thickness of the leather. I personally have smaller hands, so thinner reins give me a better feel than thicker ones. Take a trip up to the tack store and hold a few different thicknesses, and get an idea of what feels good to you.

You'll probably want a saddle. If you are planning on showing WP and reining, you may want to decide which you will probably show more, since they use slightly different styles of western saddles.

WP - Western Show Saddles
Reining - Horse Reining Saddles

A reining saddle might be better if it's also going to be your "daily driver." I feel guilty if I ride in my silvery pleasure saddle outside the show pen.
At very low levels and open shows you could probably rein in a WP saddle or ride WP in a reining saddle, but much higher levels than that, not having the "correct" saddle may cost you points. As far as sizes for saddles, unless you have some experience fitting them, I'd recommend finding a saddle fitter in your area, or a knowedgable buddy to help you fit it to your mare. Full QH bars aren't always necessary, but often are. I have a semi-QH tree pleasure saddle that fits some QH's but not others, and I've even seen a couple that needed a narrower tree than the semi. Someone at your local tack store can probably assist you, as well.

That was probably more info than you ever wanted, ha ha. Hope that was helpful to you. Good luck on buying your horse! Can't wait to see pics! :grin:
WHOAA! Thanks for all the info, it was very helpful! :D I will take it into consideration when shopping at my tack store :)
Thanks a bundle!!

horseluver50 12-08-2009 12:23 AM

Thanks kitten val and sillybunny :)

So, i really dont think i need a saddle right away.. a bareback pad would do me some good, cause i need to learn to have good balance :)
I will be getting a saddle in spring if i dont get one now...

- bridle.. i think i will go to the tack store, check out a few.. i didnt really see much for cob sizes, so, i will check out the horse size.
I think that dark brown would look best on her as she is red dun.. or black.

- reins. i will look at a different tack store as well, to compare prices and quality.. are they normally $80!?

- blanket. i will get a med. weight blanket.. and possibly a cooler and exercise sheet x)

Thanks for everyones help! :D