The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Peanut Hay? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/peanut-hay-42124/)

stacieandtheboys 12-06-2009 11:06 AM

Peanut Hay?

i have seen local ads for peanut hay on my local CL so I googled it. Apparently a very good peanut hay is equivalent nutritionally to an ok bale of alfalfa and is more palatable to horses than alfalfa.

Just wondering...anyone use it? thoughts? I assume you feed it like you feed alfalfa. I can only find it here in round bales (I assume for cows) and it is so much cheaper than alfalfa and coastal 1250# bale for $55. i pay $70 for a maybe 1000# round bale of coastal.

Maverick101 12-06-2009 11:46 AM

Hmmm.. learn something new everyday. Never heard of this before. And Ive been around a long time :lol:

And to say more palatable than alfalfa? Last time I looked Alfalfa was pretty palatable for horses lol!

Interesting

Production Acres 12-07-2009 08:49 AM

Generic comments about a hays suitability or lack thereof have no basis in a feeding program! You need a forage test to determine if the hay is good or bad for your paticular needs. Legume hay - ie, soybean hay, peanut hay, alfalfa, clover, pea, can all be good to excellent - they can also be poor to pathetic. A forage test will tell you.

A good price on a product comes from
1. Inferior Product

2. Ignorant Seller

3. Desperate Seller

4. Lack of demand for product

Find out why the hay is cheaper and that will tell you a lot about the nature of the product.

sillybunny11486 12-07-2009 09:40 AM

I would look at it first.

stacieandtheboys 12-07-2009 12:01 PM

In the information I read on the internet it is less expensive hay so not just what I am reading on my local CL. That was one of the points in using this hay in the articles...it is less expensive if you can find it. I know how to choose hay thanks. I was wondering about the hay itself and if anyone had any input on the hay itself. I never said I was jumping to buy some. I don't just feed my horses something because it is cheap. I can get crappy round bales for $45 but I choose to spend more and buy higher quality. So don't assume I am buying this hay listed because it is cheap. I am trying to learn more about it.

If it is like alfalfa then it should not be fed in a round bale for horses. I did some more research last night. I also read that horses are less likely to colic and have impactions on it.

sillybunny11486 12-07-2009 01:45 PM

why is it called peanut hay? does it actually have anything to do with peanuts? just wondering.

stacieandtheboys 12-07-2009 02:29 PM

It is actually perinneal peanut hay. It has nothing to do with peanuts really... SS-AGR-39/AA148: Perennial Peanut: An Alternative Forage of Growing Importance

sillybunny11486 12-07-2009 02:34 PM

did you come across any pictures?

some horses are picky as far as texture and smell.

stacieandtheboys 12-07-2009 02:49 PM

Well i don't know what it smells like but it looks like it is really leafy Midwest Feed and Farm - Hay

and

Legumes - Perennial Peanut - Forages of Florida - Solutions for Your Life - UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

sillybunny11486 12-07-2009 02:53 PM

That looks pretty good, that website picture. I dont think it would hurt to buy a bale and try it out. I am always curious about new feeds and things like that.

I usually dont pick out my own hay, the b.o. supplies it. But I usually like the softer hay, that has a more vibrant color. Of course I dont go around buying pure alfalfa.