The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Hard to believe but... (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/hard-believe-but-42125/)

dreamrideredc 12-06-2009 11:36 AM

Hard to believe but...

Well, in my previous posts I have mentioned that my leg is very slippery and I seem to have developed the habit of sitting back too early. I figured all of these problems were due to lack of muscle, but boy was I wrong. Turns out, it's my half chaps! They are so big that they slide down to my shins, and so worn out that the grippy part is like silk! :? Think it's time for new riding apparel? LOL! Thank goodness, for Christmas I'm getting tall boots, and I'm hoping I don't grow out of them height wise like I did last time! I hope I'm done growing *fingers crossed* Now wat do you guys think, if my leg is sliding back over the jump, could this also be contributing to my sitting back too early? Ugh, I can't wait til these boots come in!

Thanks in advance!

MIEventer 12-06-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Now wat do you guys think, if my leg is sliding back over the jump, could this also be contributing to my sitting back too early?
Of course it contributes to you sitting back too early, because your lower leg, nor your heels, are doing their job properly.

Muscle Memory - George Morris preaches that over and over and over again in his column whenever he gets pictures of riders who've lost their lower legs.

If it is your half chaps causing the problem, than it should be easy for you to remedy. If not, then you really need to work on wrapping your lower leg around your horses girth, picture your inner calf glued there. Opening your knee's and allowing the weight from your upper body to flow naturally down through, into your heels.

dreamrideredc 12-06-2009 01:03 PM

Thanks MIE! I'm hoping they are the problem, and now that I think about it, I didn't have this problem when I had my tall boots. I just hope this fixes it :wink:

gypsygirl 12-06-2009 01:05 PM

i had that problem too ! my get worn out really quickly i just try to buy new ones once a small slippery patch starts to get worn. it is really hard to jump properly with slippery half chaps

dreamrideredc 12-06-2009 09:09 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

CaptainLiecy 12-07-2009 07:55 PM

WOW! This just helped me to realise that the same thing has been happening to me!
It's happened twice, once in a SJ lesson, and then last friday when I went cross country riding. I was getting sooo frustrated at myself because I just couldn't keep my leg still and I thought I had just "lost" my jumping position. But then I read this and realised that it's only happened when I'm wearing my chaps, and not my leather gaiters! Thankyou so much! I'm definately telling everyone about this! :D :D :D

dreamrideredc 12-07-2009 08:29 PM

Awesome! Glad this helped you! I know, isn't it frustrating? I thought I went backwards in training :?, glad I was wrong :D