The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   how do you ask for a gallop? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-do-you-ask-gallop-4214/)

lakotalegend15 11-05-2007 11:56 AM

how do you ask for a gallop?

just wondering how?

Spirithorse 11-05-2007 12:07 PM

I just bring my energy up more, squeeze just a little, put my hand forward and off we go! :lol: But if that doesn't work for your horse then just try bringing your energy up, squeezing just a little, kiss or cluck, and if he still doesn't go into it take a rope and swing it across your shoulders first and then let it get longer and gradually spank him on the butt, but not hard. Also, when a horse gallops, his weight shifts primarily to the forehand so it's okay to lean forward just a little bit.

lakotalegend15 11-05-2007 07:51 PM

thanks! that's a good reply

LukeyD 11-05-2007 10:32 PM

haha, i've never galloped my horse and i don't want to. If I were to he's probably get too full of his self and I couldn't handle him. He used to race, so that's a bad idea for me. :D

Vidaloco 11-06-2007 07:35 AM

I just keep kissing at Vida till she gets to the speed I want. We call her Vida mosquito because she buzzes along and loves to gallop (me too). I get into my jockey stance, leaning forward, hands forward and off we go :) My husband has to use his quirt with Sassafras she is a little lazier. It takes a bit of faith and trust in your horse to go really fast. The first couple of times I had to make a sharp turn at high speed I about peed my pants :oops: It is fun though

jazzyrider 11-06-2007 07:39 AM

ive found that most horses respond to a gave in the reins, a lean forward and a "yah" :) its easy to feel if you get them cantering and slowly let them go while leaning a little forward. you should feel that point where they put their head down a little and speed up. this is a good time ti reinforce some pressure with your legs and that should be enough for them to get the message and go for their life :)

lukey - while ex-racers can be harder to pull up, they usually arent too bad. if all else fails, try galloping him somewhere where you end up going up a hill at the end and that should give you enough of a slower pace to be able to pull him up by the time you get to the top. either that or on the beach where you can run him into the water if he gets out of control :)

ox-tuff_rider-xo 11-12-2007 07:56 PM

I do a half seat and thats all I usually have to do especially on trails lol.