The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   PRoblem Please give advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/problem-please-give-advice-42140/)

Ariat164 12-06-2009 03:16 PM

PRoblem Please give advice

i have a 3 yr old National show horse and he has started limping a little. he was a little ouchy on the gravel in my pasture and the frozen ground that was all messed up, but i took him in the other side of the pasture that was soft and didnt have a lot of ruts in it and he quit even at a trot he was fine, then i worked with him a little and put the saddle on and my mom and i walked him to her friend's house to use the round pen, he was fine until we got about halfway down the drive and then he started limping a little not every step but he still was limping some, so we got him in the round pen and in certain areas he would limp at the trot we stopped him and checked his hooves and there was a few rocks in them and then we made him trot agian and he still limped a little, the round pen was prety rocky in some areas and it wasnt completley level. My mom and i think he is just stone bruised because he just had his shoes pulled for the winter and he is used to soft footing. i just wanted to see what u pple think.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

thnx

Maverick101 12-07-2009 03:03 AM

Yep sounds like just a little tender footed.
My gelding LOVES his shoes, i keep them on as long as possible as he is the same gets all limpy when he doesn't have his shoes on (but not lame), just ouchy when walking on harder or uneven ground.

Keep an eye on him, to ensure it inst something else, feel for any heat in his ankle, lower leg, and foot. Heat will indicate inflammation.

Try to avoid hard or rocky surfaces, if he is tender footed this can cause bruising or abcesses.

Ariat164 12-07-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick101 (Post 483046)
Yep sounds like just a little tender footed.
My gelding LOVES his shoes, i keep them on as long as possible as he is the same gets all limpy when he doesn't have his shoes on (but not lame), just ouchy when walking on harder or uneven ground.

Keep an eye on him, to ensure it inst something else, feel for any heat in his ankle, lower leg, and foot. Heat will indicate inflammation.

Try to avoid hard or rocky surfaces, if he is tender footed this can cause bruising or abcesses.

thank you! i felt the hooves and his legs ther is no heat or inflamation the only thing we found is that the one spot where one of the rocks in his hoof was if u push in on it he is a little bit sore, my mom texted my trainer who sold us the horse and she texted back that it was because he wasnt used to gravel. i just pray thats all there is to it, he had a leg injury as foal there is a giant scar but the vet who checked him said it was only cosmetic, and his legs are not swolen at all, so the only thing i can think of is the same thing you sad, that he might just be ouchy or have a little stone bruise

PechosGoldenChance 12-07-2009 07:43 AM

I think maverick is right. You shouldn't have anything to worry about, my one gelding does the same thing, he's a really big baby haha.

barefoothooves 12-07-2009 03:35 PM

When first out of shoes, horses are generally more sensitive to rocks and most apt to bruise. Keeping them off rocks for a while after shoes are pulled would be a good idea to avoid bruises and potential abscesses. You can always invest in pair of boots for when you want to ride over rocky areas, and not worry about dodging rocks at all, and posssibly save yourself the expense of shoes next season.

sillybunny11486 12-07-2009 03:44 PM

Honestly it could be anything. My mare has that occasional limp and she has navicular. We just thought it was a bruise till it progressed. Can you see any bruising on the sole? It wouldnt hurt to buy a pair of hoof testers to keep on hand. I would wait it out a little (maybe a few weeks then call the vet). It should get better with time not any worse.

Ariat164 12-07-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunny11486 (Post 483553)
Honestly it could be anything. My mare has that occasional limp and she has navicular. We just thought it was a bruise till it progressed. Can you see any bruising on the sole? It wouldnt hurt to buy a pair of hoof testers to keep on hand. I would wait it out a little (maybe a few weeks then call the vet). It should get better with time not any worse.

i dont think its navicular because i've only ever seen that in quarter horses, he isnt swollen anywhere and his legs and hooves are not hot. he looks a little better today.

loosie 12-07-2009 06:34 PM

It could be anything('navicular' is definitely not a problem confined to certain breeds, just more prevalent(or acute) in QH/arab type hoof confos) but I'd also guess it's probably bruising/sensitivity due to weak, unconditioned(to gravel) heels & just coming out of shoes. Sending us hoof pics of various angles would give us more ideas of specifics.

Don't just pray, but do some research & learn about hoof function & factors that affect soundness. Also there are a few different approaches and many different standards of 'expert' out there, so blind faith is not something I'd advocate - do your homework, so that you have an idea of which 'experts' really know what they're on about & are worth listening to & employing. On that note, hoofrehab.com & barefoothorse.com are great places to start. barehoofcare.com is another good one, which includes a section on considering situations in which metal shoes may be appropriate & least likely to have adverse effects.

I too would say boot/pad him for rough stuff, so you don't have to avoid it. Also interested how much & what sort of riding you do, and how long has he been shod for, considering he's still a youngster? I don't advocate putting metal shoes on a horse until they're mature, so their feet at least have a chance to develop properly first.