The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Problem finding my horse a buddy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/problem-finding-my-horse-buddy-42160/)

JavaLover 12-06-2009 07:37 PM

Problem finding my horse a buddy

I don't know where to put this so I just thought I'd put it here. I've had my horse for 4 months dec. 7th, and he still doesn't have any buddies. He's boarded at a local barn owned by my town so buying him a companion isn't an option.. There are currently 12 horses at my barn, 2 of which are pacers that don't get out much so they're out of the question. None of the other horses seem to like him and bully him. I put him in a pasture with a Belgian Morgan cross mare, a little miniature horse, and an elderly quarter horse who the people at my barn thought would be good for him. It turns out that the big mare wouldn't let him move anywhere! If he moved even a foot, she charged at him with her teeth barred. I was considering this other mare at the barn but I can't even put Java in a stall beside her and there's an all out bucking war at the stall divider, squeals included.. I don't know what to do here, I don't want my horse to be lonely and I don't want him to be injured by another horse.

justsambam08 12-06-2009 08:34 PM

My horse is the exact opposite. He's the bully, and he doesn't have any friends either. We have him on night turn out by himself, and he does perfectly okay. Of course he's of the more serious type, he has horses call to him and all sorts of stuff but he doesn't answer. He's in a pasture next to other horses, so if he chooses to he can socialize with them, but they can't get in to fights.

MN Tigerstripes 12-06-2009 08:40 PM

How long are you giving them to "work it out"? It could take awhile for them to become buddies. It may also help to put him out with one other horse first and then gradually re-introduce the other horses.

JavaLover 12-06-2009 08:53 PM

They had been trying to work it out for a week or so, but I decided to stop putting it in because he was distressed.

MN Tigerstripes 12-07-2009 10:19 AM

Is there a way they could put him out with one horse at a time? Sometimes when you put a horse out with a herd they can be more "difficult" than if they're one on one.

I have the opposite problem with my boy. He bites and takes chunks out of other horses. He's good with my one mare now, but it took awhile. He still bites her once in awhile though, but she's very rarely missing hair or worse anymore.

equus717 12-07-2009 11:28 AM

I would introduce one horse at a time. the thing is though your horse is probably at the bottom of the pecking order. I would put him out with the dominant mare and let them work it out as long as it doesn't come to blood shed. I have had both experiences. I have a dominant mare that charged my other horses. I ended up introducing one at a time. It worked rather well. All of my horses run together except for the stud. I always have one running with him though so that he is not alone. I hope this helps. Like everyone else has said it will take a while.

Kansasbarrelracer 12-07-2009 03:09 PM

^^ agree with above posts.

Also try maybe getting him a goat, sheep, or cow. When I was younger I had a friend who had a mare who wouldn't socialize with the other herd horses. She seperated the mare and put a steer out there with her. They would literally follow eachother around the pasture, eat together, everything....it was cute

MN Tigerstripes 12-07-2009 03:11 PM

Hrmmm... I may consider that idea for Soda when the time comes. Probably a steer... I'd be worried about him really hurting a goat/sheep.