The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Anybody else's parent(s) like this ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/anybody-elses-parent-s-like-42181/)

TwisterRush 12-06-2009 09:41 PM

Anybody else's parent(s) like this ?

I was just wondering if anyone else's parent(s) were like my dad?

This is horseback riding related, so this would i believe be in the right section lol.

Anyways not sure how to start this thread off.. but i alway's feel like my dad doesnt give enough credit for my riding !
Im alot better than alot of the people i know, and know alot more, yet he is alway's sitting there saying how great all my 'friend's' are at riding, and doesnt pay me any mind !
It really does bug me because he seems to give them more attention about it. I know it sounds SO childish lol but, i am a pretty good rider, i am english and not very much western, my dad is more western and he does NOT really like english. But he tolerates my love for it haha.
I took lessons etc at 10, but had to stop any sports because i have animals and horses and my brother's hockey costs alot.
which i find is unfair, but im hoping to take lessons again soon, hopefully for jumping :)

Anyway's.. my dad always used to ask my friends if they would teach me how to ride i kind of found that offending, considering i am a rather good rider than more than half ( this is not to sound like i am bragging) but most of them just hop on a horse, not really knowing alot and than hop off and do nothing after. Some of them DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO GROOM A HORSE or have the proper grooming supplies.

Sometimes i feel like i am just not good enough, the only thing i get actually praised on is my art, sometimes my riding but there is always some sort of critism from my dad, im always doing something wrong.

Anyone else's parents like this ?

Also my dad doesnt really even ride much,(because we dont have saddles right now) and doesnt really know alot about the english world, more the western world.

:?

Painted Hotrod 12-06-2009 09:49 PM

Well, I'm the only horse person in my family.
When it comes to horses my dad isn't the brightest light bulb in the trashcan:wink:(j/k)

But, he doesn't pick, he tries to learn.
He doesn't like barrel racing so much, cause he thinks it's dangerous.

Anyway, I got carried away there..
Do your friend's ride western?
If they do, maybe when he asks them to teach it's that he wants you to ride western?

I really don't know.
I don't want to sound mean, but I think he needs to give you more credit for your riding.
Have you tried having a talk with him, and tell him it bothers you?

TwisterRush 12-06-2009 09:58 PM

i do my fair share of western riding lately, and havent been in an english saddle for months.
so i do know how to ride western and english but i definitally prefer english.
No i havent tried talking to him, everytime i try talking to him haha we end up getting some what arguementive.
I just try to improve on something, he does know that i am the more horsey person in the family though lol.
Like i plan on doing some english, dressage and some barrels. I think that would be super fun. My dad he likes cowboy mounted shooting LOL i dont really like the thought of it

Painted Hotrod 12-06-2009 10:43 PM

My dad, and I lock horns on a few things about horses (rolls eyes)
He thinks they get cold in the winter, and such things like that, HA..

If it was be, I would just try harder to prove that I AM good at would I do.

I've done cowboy mounted shooting before, and it was fun, but I wouldn't choose to do it alot, lol ..

TwisterRush 12-06-2009 10:46 PM

lol yes exactly :) my house is like a warzone, most discussions end up into a heated arguement or debate.
Sometimes..

i have no plans to really try CBMS, just not something i am interested in, Not very interested in guns lol

Painted Hotrod 12-06-2009 10:52 PM

I was quite intersted in guns, and thought I'd mix my 2 favorite things, lol.
Guns because I hunt..

My house is like that too.
My Dad, and I are so much alike that we don't get along.
We are both extremely bullheaded!
I mean VERY stubborn.

TwisterRush 12-06-2009 11:00 PM

haha, me and him are alike, i hate to admit it, there are similarities but i take on alot of my mom's traits too.
Blah i cant even decide haha

justsambam08 12-06-2009 11:17 PM

Maybe he was joking? I know my dad has a very dry and sarcastic sense of humor, which is fine because I do too. We give each other hard times all of the time. But if it really does bother you, tell him to lay off a little bit. Since he's not super in to horses, he might not see it---I know I pitch a fit when people in movies don't know how to ride a horse (like in the Patriot, mel gibson is on a horse thats cantering and he's all over the place and UGH. it makes me mad, lol) but you obviously do because you a) know these girls and b) you have considerable riding experience

TwisterRush 12-06-2009 11:23 PM

my dad really is into horses :) but i am a fanatic haha, i do get abit cranky when people dont know how to ride a horse haha especially in movies. i can critique them to no end !
he does have a very sarcastic sense of humor, i should know that but i am pretty serious lol. i dont take things easily even if it was just sarcastic, my opinion is seriously if it was sarcastic than you might as well not say it, after all you can hurt the persons feelings because they dont know if you are being sarcastic.

And on top of that, i do have about 5 years riding experiance, almost 6. with gaps in between obviously but still, i am not a beginner rider of course. i refer myself as an experianced rider, nowhere near a pro but not close to a beginner