The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Your Baby Can read- Has anyone tried it? Thoughts? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/your-baby-can-read-has-anyone-42219/)

Crimsonhorse01 12-07-2009 04:12 PM

Your Baby Can read- Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?

So ive seen it on Sprout. Im interested, but I dont know if it works, if your kids liked it... Pretty much anything you can.
My little girl is 15 months right now and anything to help her develop is a plus for me. My mother though is totally against her "not being a little kid" If its fun and interactive I don't see why it would be different than a learning toy.
So what are your opinions?

maura 12-07-2009 09:58 PM

Wow, unusual post for a horse forum, but this is my totally based on my own personal experience your mileage may vary personal opinion:

Be very wary of programs that promise early reading, *particularly* programs that promote "sight reading" - learning to read by recognizing the sight and shape of words. Sight reading is a useful adjunct to other reading methods, but emphasizing it to the exclusion of phonics means you end up with a kid who can read but can't spell. Also, late readers tend to catch up developmentally to early readers fairly quickly - there's no real advantage to having your child read early. If the program is truly developmental, for example, teaches problem solving as well as pre-reading skills, go for it! If the program is about sight reading, *run away*, fast!!!! You'll feel great about your child's success until 2nd or 3rd grade, and after that you'll spend a lot of time working on spelling because your kid never completely learned phonics.

Again, just my personal opinion - your mileage may vary.

Spastic_Dove 12-07-2009 11:46 PM

I don't know the program (Don't have cable) but if it's anything like Baby Einstein, it actually results in children developing a bit slower. Not sure if it's similar or not.

Crimsonhorse01 12-08-2009 11:11 AM

hmm ok. Thank you.
I did put it in the General off topic area ;)

maura 12-09-2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Wow, unusual post for a horse forum,
Wasn't a criticism! :-P Obviously I'm interested!