The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Barefoot trimming for already barefoot horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/barefoot-trimming-already-barefoot-horses-42225/)

Crimsonhorse01 12-07-2009 04:36 PM

Barefoot trimming for already barefoot horses?

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so I see all this stuff about barefoot trimming and I was wondering do I need to have one out for my already barefoot horses. My place is exceptionally rocky and my farrier has never touched my arab mares hooves in two years. I have to new arabs one is a white footed weanling and an older mare. I dont know much on the older mares hoof history. I was told she was trimmed before I got her. Her toes seem to long to me though. What do you think and should I get a barefoot out here (find one first) or will she wear it right?
Heres a picture. Its not the best but its -11 outside and Im not going back out again! lol

totalfreedom 12-07-2009 05:06 PM

I watched some dvd's I ordered from pete ramey and I've learned quite a bit. But I am in no way an expert. I'm still learning and putting into practice what I've learned. If you think the toe is long a good way for the people with experience on here to give advice would be to get a few different pictures. It would help to get a side picture like you have, but lots closer and near ground level. This would allow people to see how the hoof is growing from the coronet band and see if it does angle forward. If there's lots of hair covering the top of the hoof wall near the coronet band you could move it so that people can see that top inch of hoof wall along with the rest of the hoof. But it kinda looks like there isn't hair covering the top inch of hoof wall. But it does happen so I just commented on it in case the hair is longer than it looks. If the toe is disconnected from the coffin bone though then the top inch of hoof wall will be at the angle it should be cus it'll still be connected to the coffin bone, and after that inch or so down from the coronet band you can see the hoof wall change angle forward and that's where the seperation begins.

Also another good picture would be of the bottom of the hoof. Clean the hoof of it's dirt and such so that people can see the sole and white line and such near the toe. If it's stretched then you will have a lamellar wedge in-between the sole and the hoof wall.

But as far as if the terrain you have will trim her feet into the proper shape, I don't know. I'm sure someone with experience will be able to help you along further than I.

Oh yeah I was wanting to comment on the weather. THAT'S COLD. LOL It's been 20 degrees during the days, I don't know about the nights. But I do know it's become a small hassle cus my rabbits' water nozzles have been freezing and I've had to thaw em every morning. But this morning I couldn't get em thawed so I've been putting heat lamps on the water drum cus I think it's giving me the problems today. My madre said it was negative 5 in MT. BRRRR, I'm glad I have neither of your weathers.

sillybunny11486 12-07-2009 05:11 PM

Never herd a horse going two years w/o a trim and having good hooves, but I guess its possible since wild horses never see the farrier.

Crimsonhorse01 12-07-2009 05:25 PM

I know the picture is bad. It was from about two weeks ago when I asked the other half to take pictures of me and the horse... I figured id use it to show her hooves. Ill get better ones when its nicer at least not in the neg.
My horses are running on pretty much what our mustangs run on. April has been in wy since she was 10 months old and she wears her dark hooves perfect. It kills white hooved horses though. :(

sillybunny11486 12-07-2009 05:30 PM

white hooves are no stronger or weaker than black hooves. Its like coat color.

Crimsonhorse01 12-07-2009 05:35 PM

Id heard both.
Didnt think much of it until I brought in two white hooved horses and both had to get shod. Id rather stay with dark hooves now.
(exception to my little grey arab filly)

loosie 12-07-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimsonhorse01 (Post 483668)
Id heard both.
Didnt think much of it until I brought in two white hooved horses and both had to get shod. Id rather stay with dark hooves now.
(exception to my little grey arab filly)

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but anecdotal evidence on only 2 horses says nothing, especially when we don't know what their prior or current development, management, diet, trimming, etc is like. There have been some good studies done into pigmented v's unpigmented feet, which show there is no difference in strength. If they were indeed weak, you wouldn't see any white footed wild ones, and appys & such with striped hooves would likely have incurable splits galore. ...And far from being 'needed', we'd probably find shoeing of white hooves was contraindicated because the feet were too weak to hold them for long.

Regarding what you should do with your newbies, I strongly advise learning the theory behind 'natural hoofcare' so you can make your own informed decisions. hoofrehab.com is one great place to start, as is barefoothorse.com There are of course good farriers around, but if you're not sure just how good/knowledgeable yours is, I'd personally prefer to go with a good 'hoof care practitioner' as then you know they have a good understanding of the mechanics and other factors affecting hoof function & health. If your mare hasn't needed hoofcare because of her environment & lifestyle, great! You're(& she is) very lucky.(I wish - do my guys every few weeks here!) You'll probably find the new ones only need one or few trims to get them on their way. But depending on the state of the new mare's feet, esp heels/digital cushions, you might find she could benefit from a little longer heel &/or boots when ridden, in the short term, to help her comfortably land heel first & therefore build up the strength while still getting a bit extra protection. Your weanling is likely still light enough to cope without, and will have grown strong, well developed feet by the time she's mature on this sort of environment.

Sending us some hoof pics, of all your horses, of various angles will enable us to give you an idea of the specifics that may be needed for their feet. Telling us about their management, amount of exercise, diet, etc might also lead us to suggestions that you can tweak to help them even more.