The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Asking a horse to tuck? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/asking-horse-tuck-4227/)

ox-tuff_rider-xo 11-06-2007 06:26 PM

Asking a horse to tuck?

On other better trained horses that I have riden, I was told to sponge and half halt and such to make a horse tuck its nose and collect. However, these just seem to confuse my young horse, and I don't know how to sorta teach her what I mean and stuff. How should I teach her to be collected and tuck her nose in.

Vidaloco 11-06-2007 07:13 PM

Does she have lateral flexing down? If not I would start there. At a stop put pressure on the bit till she lowers her head and immediatly release pressure and give a good girl. Do this a lot till she gets it down. From there start driving her with your legs/seat while applying the same pressure with your hands to collect her up. What type of horse do your have and what type of bit are you using? I find it difficult to get a tuck with a snaffle bit. I don't know if its the shanks giving more pressure to the poll or what but I get better tuck with a shank bit.

Stepher 11-06-2007 09:38 PM

How long have you been riding your horse? It could be that she just does not have the muscle to do this. You should be driving your horse from behind and into the bridle; if you are doing this her head will naturally go on vertical and she will carry herself.

Sara 11-07-2007 12:13 AM

Yeah, sponging is kind of a quick fix...it confuses a young horse and stifles impulsion. You want her to learn that she can go forward freely without interference in her mouth. The contact will come with time.

ponypile 11-07-2007 01:41 AM

I would never dream of teaching a horse is go round in a curb or shanked bit :evil: . Curbs are for finished horses, not young ones. All you'll get by using a curb on a young horse, is a tense scared horse that isn't doing the job properly.

You need to do lateral work and flexing before roundness comes. This inclueds moving off leg and moving it's ribs over. After that, you teach a horse to go long and low by sponging and half halts unding the horse brings his head down, then release a little and let the horse stretch down. Many trainers find it useful to lunge a young horse with side reins to teach them to yeild to pressure on the bit.

Vidaloco 11-07-2007 06:11 AM

Sorry forgot this was a young horse when I said that :oops: :oops: mea culpa

Equina 11-07-2007 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
You want her to learn that she can go forward freely without interference in her mouth. The contact will come with time.

/\ This is great advice.

When I first got my horse, I thought, "oh goodie, let's get him all collected and pretty!" But, as I was doing my half-halts, etc, I realized I was just making him stiff and choppy (although bent at the poll). His head may have been in the correct position, but his back, hip, shoulder, legs...bad! Not what I call collection!

So now, what I've been working on is impulsion. I've ignored the front end and concentrated on getting him to really push forward and use his rear end. I bought extra long reins and let him stretch out as much as he wants. Sometimes his nose is almost on the ground and oh, it feels so smooth and fluid, his tail lightly swishes, and he has a nice spring to his step. Now that he's getting stronger in the rear (after a couple months), he naturally lifts his back and lowers his head as I urge him onward.

Overall, to start training your horse to "be collected and tuck her nose in," ignore her nose. =) Get her rear end strong and responsive...then her back muscles strong and flexible...soon her neck will become supple...and down the road you can polish her off and easily tuck her nose.

ox-tuff_rider-xo 11-09-2007 04:58 PM

Ok, I usually start with a pretty lose rein but over time I have to tighten up because she runs around and cute out of the rail and such, so I can't really do that. And I don't really know what you mean by putting pressure on the reins, like just gently pulling?
I don't mean to be rude to anyone if I do sound rude, Im just sorta confused.

horse_luver4e 11-09-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

I would never dream of teaching a horse is go round in a curb or shanked bit . Curbs are for finished horses, not young ones. All you'll get by using a curb on a young horse, is a tense scared horse that isn't doing the job properly.

I have a 3 year old filly and i ride her in a curb bit and she is very soft.

AKPaintLover 11-09-2007 09:55 PM

Unless your three year old has had some very, very intense training, using a curb on her is a quick fix like using a bandaid. I am sure she is extremely soft in a curb...they are fairly severe bits because of the leverage created by the shank.

There are important lessons a horse has to learn in a snaffle before they are ready to be ridden in a curb. A horse should be able to perform any maneuver you want in a snaffle....that is how you will know they are ready for a curb. There is a reason that show associations allow horses to be ridden in a snaffle until they are 6 years old...they are often not ready before that. A curb is not a fix for a horse who is not responding to a request properly, it is a tool for a properly finished horse.

I will be riding my stallion for the first show season in a curb next year, and even so, I will only use the curb at the show and on the trainng sessions immediately preceding the show. Otherwise, I will go back to the simple loose ring snaffle.

In my opinion, if someone feels the need to use a curb or more severe bit on their horse because of a training issue, there are holes in the training somewhere, and they should go back a few steps and fill in the holes. I have learned that changing the bit over and over does not solve your problems...training the horse and learning to communicate better with the rest of your body is the key. If someone is just riding for pleasure, and they properly train their horse, I don't see why they would ever have to use a bit other than a basic, mild, snaffle.