The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ringworm (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ringworm-42275/)

Willowluva1012 12-08-2009 08:24 AM

Ringworm

Hello,

My horse Willow has some weird looking scabs on her face that showed up over the weekend. I looked up Ringworm online and the scabs look like hers, although ten times worse., and everywere. Ringworm is going around where I live and Willow has been hanging around the fence next to the cow's pasture. Is it because she just got over Rain rot in Sept. or is it something else?? Please help!:cry:

Ryle 12-08-2009 09:40 AM

Without doing a culture or skin scraping, you can't be sure whether it is fungal or bacterial in nature. You can start out treating any skin infection with betadine daily. But if it's not clearing up or if the situation is severe you need to contact your vet to get a firm diagnosis and systemic treatment to help clear it up.

sillybunny11486 12-08-2009 09:42 AM

my mare came in one day with weird scabs all over her nose. I cleaned it off and slathered it with desitin and it went away in a few days.

kitten_Val 12-08-2009 12:06 PM

I'm with Ryle. :-) You can't tell for sure. You need a test. But you can still start using betadine or iodine to treat it (that's what we did).

sillybunny11486 12-08-2009 12:08 PM

I would be afraid to really wash my horses face off with iodine. Do you guys think alcohol on a gauze pad would work?

tmyfrnk 12-08-2009 01:01 PM

Anti fungal cream everyday also works and doesn't run in their eyes. You can get it at walmart in the phamacy department.

sillybunny11486 12-08-2009 01:15 PM

^ it could work if its fungus, but it might be something else. I would get an antifungal antibacterial product.

barefoothooves 12-08-2009 02:29 PM

betadine is both antifungal and antibiotic, and in the case of potential ringworm, this is one time I would go ahead and suggest using it. Ringworm is too contagious to dilly-dally around with. Careful application can avoid any adverse affects on most horses. This isn't a type of infection that just stays with it's host because there is a weakness in the host (like thrush or WLD), this could spread to other horses, dogs, etc, and YOU, so better to be assertive with it.

WSArabians 12-08-2009 02:52 PM

Alcohol? Ouch!
Stick with products made for horses for Fungal issues.

Your best bet would be too call your vet and them come out to do a test. Ringworm is hard to get rid off and only a limited amount of products work, that you'll more than likely have to get from your vet.

sillybunny11486 12-08-2009 03:00 PM

I wipe cuts off with alcohol all the time without any complaints. But they usually arent fresh when I find them.

Ive been told to mix cortizone and triple antibiotic, it is suposed to work fast.