The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   young event horse competition (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/young-event-horse-competition-42312/)

gypsygirl 12-08-2009 04:54 PM

young event horse competition

has anyone done the young event horse competition before ? what was it like/ did you think it was a good experience for your youngster ?

i am planning on taking my mare in the 4yo level over the summer, but i tried to go watch the competition but they changed the schedule last minute & so i missed it =[ i did see the jumping course & it looked very reasonable

gypsygirl 12-08-2009 10:34 PM

anyone ?!

My Beau 12-09-2009 06:40 AM

I've been to Future Event Horse, but haven't watched the Young Event Horse stuff. But, from what I've read and heard about it, it sounds like a great oppurtunity for 3/4 year olds who aren't ready to hit the field yet! Anytime you can get them out and off the farm will be a great learning/schooling experience... well maybe not "great" at the time if they decide to act like a moron, but down the road it will pay off! ;)

eventerdrew 12-09-2009 08:51 AM

I have not experienced it personally but my previous trainer and a friend of mine have both done it.

They took their horses in the five year old divisions at two different events. My trainer went first and did not have a good experience with it. It wasn't the courses that were frustrating (as her horse already went Prelim by that time) but it was the judge's biased nature. Her horse was a beautiful TB gelding that was a phenominal jumper. However, the judges tended to favor the horses that still overjumped. This made her mad because the horses with less training were getting rewarded instead of those who were more trained.

They tended to favor the WB and WB crosses. That being said, the horse that won that division is now going at CCI* as a 6 year old. His name is El Cid if you want to look @ him. You can see why he won. He's amazing

My friend took her Trakehner mare (by Windfall) to another YEH. She had the same experience. The mare was double booked that weekend (doing YEH and the Training division) but was still full of go. Didn't overjump anything and went beautifully. She gets an awful score. The mare has great conformation, stellar dressage, and really good jumping. I don't see why they made the decision they did.

But I've heard some good things about it. I just don't think I would take my horse to be judged by biased people.

MIEventer 12-09-2009 10:07 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread -

Drew - you say that this person was compeating a 5 year old over Prelim already?

gypsygirl 12-09-2009 10:37 AM

they probably didnt do well bc the judges dont care at that level if they spook or anything like that, its about their potential & quality of gaits etc.

and prelim at age 5 ?! why would you even do the YEH if your horse was already going prelim ?

gypsygirl 12-09-2009 10:47 AM

thanks for your input my beau !

eventerdrew 12-09-2009 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thing is, these two horses had way more potential than most of the horses in their division. They both have amazing movement at all gaits. So, it was a little shocking to see the scores they got.

OOPS! I meant to say Training at 5. But he did go Prelim right after he turned 6 in Florida. The woman I used to train with (she is overseas now :[) is a CCI**** eventer. So it's not like she has never taken a young horse up the levels before. He is now competing at Novice with his new owner.

Here's a pic of him in FL doing Prelim. Now tell me why he didn't get a good score?:

gypsygirl 12-09-2009 10:57 AM

he looks like a nice hrose, but i cant tell you bc i have never seen him move !

no offense to those that love tbs, bc i do too!! but i was reading the YEH thing on the usea website & it was talking about looking for upper level prospects & most people dont want a full tb anymore....i really hope i dont offend anyone bc i am a tb lover as well !!!!!!!!!!

eventerdrew 12-09-2009 11:04 AM

yeah most people are leaning nowadays towards a horse with a bit of WB blood in it. Or Draft.

Irish Sport Horses are IN. big time. as well as Trakehners, Hanoverians, Holsteiners. But mostly ISH's

Sorry, I'll stick to my TB's. :) I've got a 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire (american warmblood) but that's as far off the TB train as I'll go!