The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Forum Rules and Announcements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-forum-rules-announcements/)
-   -   Please do not use "net speak" in posts (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-forum-rules-announcements/please-do-not-use-net-speak-42335/)

Mike_Admin 12-08-2009 08:31 PM

Please do not use "net speak" in posts

Hi everyone,

A number of members now have expressed their frustrations with some members' use of "net speak", also referred to as "txt speak" because it is reminiscent of shortcuts taken by some when sending txt messages over mobile phones. Net speak is characterized by excessive abbreviations, lack of any punctuation, gratuitous misspellings, etc.

Quote:

if u c a post like this u no yer c'ing net speak!!!
The Horse Forum is an international community, and net speak makes posts difficult for many people to understand. It also turns many people off and causes them to not want to participate in a discussion. In the interests of ensuring the readability and quality of posts, and a vibrant community of horse lovers for a long time to come, please do not use net speak in your posts.

Going forward, posts consisting of net speak are subject to being removed. If a member can't help but use net speak after a reasonable number of requests to stop, that member's access to the forum will be restricted.

To be sure, moderators will not be policing posts for any and all spelling and grammar mistakes. We simply require that posts are indicative of an effort to write properly and avoid the use of net speak. Additionally, commonly used acronyms such as omg, lol, etc. continue to be fine.

Please note that this rule extends to the chat room as well, but the Teen Talk forum is an exception where net speak is permissible for the time being. If you are a teenager, please vote for whether you feel the rule against net speak should apply to the Teen Talk forum as well here. This post will be updated once the poll has closed.

Thank you for helping to keep the Horse Forum a community where intelligent people enjoy discussing their passion for horses.

Sincerely,
Mike on behalf of the Horse Forum Team

lacyloo 12-08-2009 08:34 PM

Thanks so much for this post :)

riccil0ve 12-08-2009 08:48 PM

Thank god! I've always used full sentences and punctuation online and in text messages, I've always thought it sloppy to do otherwise!

MN Tigerstripes 12-08-2009 08:49 PM

Yay! I won't go cross-eyed reading posts anymore... Well not as much anyways. :lol::lol:

Sunny06 12-08-2009 08:53 PM

^ Yes! I'm practically blind (not really)! It's so difficult to read.

Erin_And_Jasper 12-08-2009 09:02 PM

yay!!! no more chat speak!!!! can we still use lol?

Jillyann 12-08-2009 09:03 PM

Good! Now I will actually be able to understand more of the threads. =)

And yeah, can we still use lol?

Mike_Admin 12-08-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jillyann (Post 485132)
... And yeah, can we still use lol?

Absolutely! :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator
Additionally, commonly used acronyms such as omg, lol, etc. continue to be fine.

Jillyann 12-08-2009 09:16 PM

Sorry, I didnt see that part!:lol:

1dog3cats17rodents 12-08-2009 09:22 PM

Thank goodness! I'm 16, but txt speak makes my eyes hurt!