The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Keeping water troughs from freezing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/keeping-water-troughs-freezing-42342/)

JumpingTheMoon 12-08-2009 09:59 PM

Keeping water troughs from freezing?

We're trying to figure out the most cost effective (read least expensive) way to keep the water troughs in the turnouts from freezing.

Any ideas?

lacyloo 12-08-2009 10:02 PM

How cold are we talking about?

Sometimes it gets down to 19 here and I use a little fish tank filter.Keeps the water from freezing over.

JumpingTheMoon 12-08-2009 10:19 PM

Central Indiana, cold enough that the troughs freeze. A fish tank filter? Can you explain that to me?

Appyt 12-08-2009 10:26 PM

I'm not sure how many turnouts you are talking about or where they are in relation to electricity but I use a deicer in my tank. They are not expensive tho they do use electricity of course. Another way to keep them from freezing as quickly is to build an insulated box to fit around the tank. You can cover the top of the tank also, leaving enough room for the horses to get a drink.

gypsygirl 12-08-2009 10:28 PM

when i lived in indiana we used a pick axe & rubber gloves =D very fun at 5am !

at my current barn in wi we use heaters in the tanks. you can also get solar ones but i dont know how much they cost...

JumpingTheMoon 12-08-2009 11:20 PM

Solar ones are about $100 a piece. We'll have them at our new barn but one of my friends is at another barn that refuses to allow power to the turnouts. So was just trying to come up with a way to help keep them well.. not frozen lol.

lacyloo 12-08-2009 11:21 PM

Ssomething like this Walmart.com: Tetra: Whisper Power Filter, 1 ct: Fish

or Walmart.com: Regent: For 5-15 Gallons Aquarium Power Filter, 1 ct: Fish

themacpack 12-09-2009 08:27 AM

Movement or heat are the two ways to keep the water from freezing. Movement can be accomplished by adding a bubbler or other device (such as the filter idea above). Heat would be accomplished by adding a de-icing device or purchasing a contained heated water container. We use the electric tub system and love it.

Indyhorse 12-09-2009 08:46 AM

I'm in Northern Indiana - I have a tank heater (like this one: Allied Sinking De-icer - 2170712 | Tractor Supply Company) in my tank, I have a heavy duty, outdoor use rated extension cord running it from my garage. Will they let you run an extension cord from the barn out to the paddocks? Make sure you get an outdoor-rated extension cord that can withstand the weather. (I prefer the sinking ones to the floating de-icers, personally, my horses play with the floating ones and pull them out of the tanks)

MN Tigerstripes 12-09-2009 09:29 AM

I use a tank heater like the others mention. However, I've heard of people putting footballs into the tank and for some reason it keeps it from freezing. Not sure why though.