The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Your Opinon (Saddle Brands)

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  HalfPass 
#1 ·
Right now I am looking into getting a saddle.. but there are so may diffrerent brands. I am willing to spend up to $2600.00 no more then that. If anyone has had any experance (sp?) with Keifer or Barnsby and anything in that price range let me know

Thankyou

#2 ·
Test out different saddles.
See what fits your horse and what meets your needs.
Fitting is defently important. Different saddles have different amounts of padding and support.
And your personal preference on the feel of the saddle beneith you is something to look at.
What kind of saddle are you asking about? Dressage? All purpose? western?

#5 ·
I am a fan of the Bates saddles (I own an Innova dressage saddle and a Caprilli Close Contact). Both have the adjustable gullet with the interchangable plates....that is a big plus for me. Both also have the CAIR system (air panels vs. foam, wool, or a combination of the 2). Some people like the air panels, some don't.

The Innova was close to $3,000.00 and the Caprilli was $1,600.00...both purchased new. If your budget is as high as $2,600.00, you may want to consider the high end french saddles...but you'd have to purchase used vs. new in that case though.

Saddle preference is a very personal thing, with many options available. Just be sure that what fits you also fits your horse.

#7 ·
I have had very good luck with Prestige saddles and Courbette saddles. I currently have the Courbette Vision Close Contact and I love it! I also the had the Prestige Red Fox Close Contact for a long time and it worked great.

Just shop around. You'll find some great deals on some awesome saddles. Ebay is your friend!

#8 ·
I think the Barnsbys run wide, which would be good for your horse. If I remember correctly, they are pretty comfy as well. Having just gone through the saddle fitting process with my horse, my best advice is to try on a bunch and pick the one that fits best on your horse and also fits you regardless of brand. My budget was not nearly as good as yours, but even so, I went for wool panels over foam or air (had a wintec before and it was the panels that didn't fit but they couldn't be adjusted because of the air) because they can always be adjusted as your horse changes shape over the course of his life. Good luck with your search!

#10 ·
Is your horse wide and curvy or wide and table backed?

County, or is it Black County? is a good brand for wide and flat horses.
Duett caters to wide breeds
Thornhill -- wide breeds
Crosby wide
Colegiate wide
L&R Lovatt & Ricketts
Arabian Saddle Company -- a subset of L&R
HDR (certain models Henri de Rivel)
Ashley & Clarke Ayr
Northrun Ashland wide or XW

The Barnsbys I've seen are not particularly wide. I think #4 is the widest standard tree, and it's not all that wide. The Crosbys are the ones that I thin tend to run wide.

Some of those brands named above, are curvy (the tree has rock or rocker to it, not good for a flat table back horse.)

Check over at Horse Grooming forum for threads on saddle fitting, if you can't find info here. I hope it's not against policy to mentions that. Why reinvent the wheel? COTH (Chronicle of the Horse) is another good one.

#12 ·
Is your horse wide and curvy or wide and table backed?

County, or is it Black County? is a good brand for wide and flat horses.
Duett caters to wide breeds
Thornhill -- wide breeds
Crosby wide
Colegiate wide
L&R Lovatt & Ricketts
Arabian Saddle Company -- a subset of L&R
HDR (certain models Henri de Rivel)
Ashley & Clarke Ayr
Northrun Ashland wide or XW
there is a brand county & a different brand called black country. they are both good brands IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.